transfer an image RRS feed

• Question

• I really looked around but couldn't find an answer to my question yet. It is hypothetical, nevertheless I think a solution for this problem will benefit many.

A few days ago my laptop got stolen in an airport. Luckily I had an recent image of my laptop on an external harddrive at home. I had the laptop wiped by LoJack soon after it got stolen. Now I bought a new laptop, with Vista Ultimate (OEM license), the same OS as my stolen laptop. The hardware is completely different. When I restore the image to my new laptop, I need to validate again as there are too many differences in the hardware. But I don't want to restore under the stolen laptop's OEM license, I want to restore under the new laptop's OEM license. I don't think I go against EULA if I restore under the new laptop's OEM license.

Any suggestions ?

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 11:15 PM

Answers

• You can also just go to the System Window (Start button, right-click Computer and select Properties) there is a Change Product Key button at the bottom of the window.

Thanks,

Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by edekker Friday, April 2, 2010 10:37 PM
    Friday, April 2, 2010 8:28 PM
  • Hello edekker,

I can't vouch for the technical feasibility of what you propose (I don't know if the OEM software from the other laptop will work right under the new laptop). But from a Licensing standpoint, as long as once you have applyed the Image to the new laptop that you immediately change out the product key from old laptops product key to the new laptops product key, you should be ok.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 11:42 PM

All replies

• Hello edekker,

I can't vouch for the technical feasibility of what you propose (I don't know if the OEM software from the other laptop will work right under the new laptop). But from a Licensing standpoint, as long as once you have applyed the Image to the new laptop that you immediately change out the product key from old laptops product key to the new laptops product key, you should be ok.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 11:42 PM
  • Thanks Darin,

This is a great help. I can change the Vista / Win7 product key with:

1. Click on the Start Button and type in command prompt so that it shows up on your start menu search list. Right click on the Command Prompt shortcut and select Run As Administrator.
    2. At the administrator command prompt, type in "slmgr.vbs -ipk <insert your product key here>"
    3. To activate windows after changing the key, run "slmgr.vbs -ato"

Thanks again,

edekker

Friday, April 2, 2010 4:44 PM
  • You can also just go to the System Window (Start button, right-click Computer and select Properties) there is a Change Product Key button at the bottom of the window.

Thanks,

Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by edekker Friday, April 2, 2010 10:37 PM
    Friday, April 2, 2010 8:28 PM