just starting out in crm 2013.... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

Not sure If I'm posting in the right place - I've set up the following:

DELL laptop running vmware 10 (not vsphere)

Installed on vmware, is server 2012 and crm 2013

When I browse to http://localhost:5555 I can see crm2013 ready to rock and roll.

Apart from the above, I have done nothing else with crm2013. I'm keen to get stuck in and my ambition is to develop crm2013 and cater for whatever business needs a future client would want. But right now, I know very little... I'd say I'm 2nd line support level if you know what I mean...

So... are there any good tutorials/books/ webinars to view? I know there's programming under the hood that I'll need to learn, I understand that its c#? Not afraid of doing any of that...

I'm just at a position where now that I've installed crm 2013 - what now? Which direction can i research where to go in? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks. 

Wednesday, November 26, 2014 4:20 PM

All replies

• Hi,

in your case I suggest a book, in my opinion you need to explore the platform so you can know better the product.

Normally I suggest this one:

Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2013 Unleashed

My blog: www.crmanswers.net - Rockstar 365 Profile

Wednesday, November 26, 2014 4:41 PM
  • Hi Guido

Thanks for that ... I've read reviews on amazon about this book ... it seems from the review that I need experience from crm2011 ... i'll give it a go and see how I get on. 

Wednesday, November 26, 2014 4:45 PM
  • Honestly my advice would be to decide which direction you want to go in - functional or technical. In my earlier days (I started out with CRM 3.0) I messed around quite a lot, going from one type to another - so as you can imagine, I didn't maximise. If you can't decide right now, start by heading over to Channel 9 and download the entire kit: http://channel9.msdn.com/Series/DynamicsCRM2011

It will help you get started. The best advice I can give you with working with any enterprise system, especially if you're learning, is to think of a business scenario of your own, then think to yourself - you're the subject matter expert; you've been called into this company to come up with a solution, and then take it from there. All too often people will advise that you throw yourself into learning a technical subject in a linear fashion, you learn a lot, then forget. For instance; here is a totally random but trivial piece of information: "You should configure Windows’s BitLocker Drive Encryption to manage offline files for Outlook, (stored in SQL express) to prevent people tampering with it". Not a great piece of information that will stick in your head, unless, your business scenario is working in a high risk organisation like a legal firm.

Other advice: Join Google+ forums, look at getting certified, read Dynamics CRM case studies, look at Youtube, look at the official documents etc. Actually, the best thing you can do right now is head over to Microsoft's case study portal to see what Dynamics CRM can do right now. It'll inspire you and probably give you some additional direction.

Good luck.

Wednesday, November 26, 2014 5:52 PM
  • Hi Syed

Thank you for taking the time out to give me your insight... It's just the kind of response I am looking for. Of course, I agree and I am aware, to truly absorb what CRM is about I must put myself  in a real life business scenario, which I've thought about. The system that my company uses right now , in my opinion, is not as functional, robust or user friendly as it should be to the user and I think it's a good guinea pig to try and build a working system, using crm.

With regards to going functional or technical, could you expand please? To me, that means that going the fuctional direction is to configure and tailor the front end of CRM for the client? 

And technical means the above, plus the addition of manipulating CRM through coding it up in the back end (using visual studio?), to make it a more bespoke crm for the client?

Thanks 

Friday, November 28, 2014 9:08 AM