How can I change the site description my site shows in search results? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody, I was kind of hoping somebody could help me with this.

If I search for the search term "royalty free music", my page (www.shockwave-sound.com) comes up in the search results somewhere on Page 2.

My problem is that my site is showing in the search results with a site description that I don't like: "professional quality; music, loopz, soundz, and FX for web and media use (some for free)".

My problem with this is that the description is neither very professional, nor appealing, nor correct. What puzzles me is that I never actually wrote this text anywhere. I've seen it in search results for years, yet I have no idea where it comes from. I can only guess that somebody else submitted my site somewhere, years and years ago, and now this description has kind of made it's way by itself and has stuck with me for years. The text doesn't appear anywhere on my site either.

So my question is: Does anybody know how I can get this text changed??

As a secondary question, I also don't really understand why my site is being ranked so much lower in live.com search results than it does on Google search results. My site has been online for years and years and slowly made it's way up to the (almost) the top of Google's search results, but on live.com I'm ranked way way lower than many other sites which are newer, has less content, and much lower Google ranking than mine. Are there any pages with tips on steps I should take to climb higher in the www.live.com search results?

Thanks in advance,

--
    Bjorn Lynne
    www.shockwave-sound.com

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 11:30 AM

All replies

• Sounds like you're referring to your natural search results, not paid. You don't mention which engine this description is showing on, I'm going to assume its Live since you're posting on the adCenter blog.  Have you tried submitting an updated sitemap?

As for your second question, each search engine has their own algorithm which is why positioning can vary from engine to engine.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 2:00 PM
  • Hello NerdySEMChick,

Thanks for your reply to my post. Yes, I was referring to my natural search results, not paid. (BTW, I also have some paid-for search results through the AdCenter). And also, yes, I was referring to search results on www.live.com.

May I ask where I need to go, to submit an updated sitemap?

Also, will a sitemap originally created for Google (i.e. a Google Sitemap) also work for Live.com ?

Thanks again,

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 11:35 AM
  • Late last year, the big 3 announced they were coming together to create a universal sitemap...unfortunately, I haven't followed up on that to see if it ever happened? A quick visit to sitemaps.org doesn't give me any update on that either.

You can try submitting it by going to: http://beta.search.msn.com/docs/submit.aspx

Hope that helps!

Friday, July 20, 2007 4:48 PM