Exam 77-888 Excel Expert - looking for information from anyone who's done it RRS feed

• Question

• I'm thinking about taking this exam, but I can't find out any information about it anywhere - no practice tests, example questions, even how long it lasts and what form it takes. All I found was this on stackoverflow. It's so annoying, the whole thing is shrouded in mystery. I've never gone into an exam so blind. If you've done it I would really appreciate some insight!

• I have the MOS 2010 Expert Study Guide - is this enough to see me through?
    • Would you say it's a tough exam? That link above mentions severe time constraints. I'm pretty good with Excel but I still rely on the documentation quite a bit. Am I going to struggle for time if I don't have every little thing memorised?
    • Anyone have any idea of the pass rate?
    • I presume you just sit down in front a spreadsheet and get given a list of tasks to do? Is that it? Any multiple choice questions or anything like that?
    • How long is the exam?
    • Anything else you wish you'd been told before you did it?

Many thanks!

• Edited by mered Thursday, November 24, 2011 1:59 PM
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 1:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I did the (beta) exam and passed. There is one big difference in taking the beta or the final exam and that is the fact that the beta has much more questions. But to get back to your questions let's see if i can answer some of them.

• The expert study guide is good and will help you prepare. This however is always a book and it cannot cover possibly everything that might be in the actual exam. So use the book but you need more.
    • Is it a tough exam? Yes it is and it should be otherwise it wouldn't have any value. Let's say that when you pass the exam you have shown that you really have the excel skills. The time constraint often comes in when one doesn't know his way around the ribbon. That's always one of my tips, explore the ribbon and backstage thoroughly. If you can find it you can apply it. If you have to search you will lose valuable time. Try to figure out you weaknesses on what part you still rely on documentation and practice on that part.
    • The passrate is set at a minumum of 700 out of a 1000 points you can get
    • The MOS exams are always 'hands on' so this is no exception. Yes you do get Excel in front of you and you have to do the tasks using Excel. There are no multiple questions in these exams (except some online exams that might have some).
    • The exam time is usually set around 50 minutes

Other tips? Yes sure:

This is an expert exam so be prepared for questions you might not have thought of. The expert exams go beyond the usual stuff so train yourself for parts in Excel that you normally wouldn't use. The focus will be on you becoming an expert. Make sure you enter like an Expert and don't take this exam 'on the side'. For me personally the Inside Out Series helped me a lot (everyone knows that by now - i do not own any shares :-)

You can find info on my blog where i refer to a sample chapter of those books as well. Furthermore you will find some additional tips and info about MOS certification. My blog

Good luck on taking the exam and let us know if you passed ;-)

Maurice
    • Proposed as answer by Mr. Wharty Tuesday, February 7, 2012 12:40 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mr. Wharty Tuesday, February 14, 2012 3:41 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mr. Wharty Tuesday, February 14, 2012 3:41 AM
    Saturday, November 26, 2011 10:59 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I did the (beta) exam and passed. There is one big difference in taking the beta or the final exam and that is the fact that the beta has much more questions. But to get back to your questions let's see if i can answer some of them.

• The expert study guide is good and will help you prepare. This however is always a book and it cannot cover possibly everything that might be in the actual exam. So use the book but you need more.
    • Is it a tough exam? Yes it is and it should be otherwise it wouldn't have any value. Let's say that when you pass the exam you have shown that you really have the excel skills. The time constraint often comes in when one doesn't know his way around the ribbon. That's always one of my tips, explore the ribbon and backstage thoroughly. If you can find it you can apply it. If you have to search you will lose valuable time. Try to figure out you weaknesses on what part you still rely on documentation and practice on that part.
    • The passrate is set at a minumum of 700 out of a 1000 points you can get
    • The MOS exams are always 'hands on' so this is no exception. Yes you do get Excel in front of you and you have to do the tasks using Excel. There are no multiple questions in these exams (except some online exams that might have some).
    • The exam time is usually set around 50 minutes

Other tips? Yes sure:

This is an expert exam so be prepared for questions you might not have thought of. The expert exams go beyond the usual stuff so train yourself for parts in Excel that you normally wouldn't use. The focus will be on you becoming an expert. Make sure you enter like an Expert and don't take this exam 'on the side'. For me personally the Inside Out Series helped me a lot (everyone knows that by now - i do not own any shares :-)

You can find info on my blog where i refer to a sample chapter of those books as well. Furthermore you will find some additional tips and info about MOS certification. My blog

Good luck on taking the exam and let us know if you passed ;-)

Maurice
    • Proposed as answer by Mr. Wharty Tuesday, February 7, 2012 12:40 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mr. Wharty Tuesday, February 14, 2012 3:41 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mr. Wharty Tuesday, February 14, 2012 3:41 AM
    Saturday, November 26, 2011 10:59 AM
  • hi i am preparing for 77-888 exam using certifyzone.com study guides and its quite helpful to get good grades

Thursday, December 1, 2011 5:39 AM
  • Well, I just got back from getting my butt kicked by this exam. As background, I happened to have passed the entire CPA exam in one sitting so I do know something about taking exams. Perhaps I was a little too overconfident going into this Excel Expert exam. First, let me tell you to go ahead and pay the extra amount for the retake fee. I didn't find anyone offering this advice. I wish I had because I just threw money away. I assess my Excel skill level as follows: I am proficient in about 50% of the Excel program. Additionally, I am "familiar" with another 25% of the program's capabilities. Then I am fairly clueless in the remaining 25% of all the stuff this app does that I've never had a need to learn. For example I am wiz-bang with pivot-tables, v-lookups, formatting, and navigating around/among spreadsheets. It's clear now that this makes me an advanced user of Excel, not an Expert. The expert exam tests you on advanced concepts within Excel, not your body of knowledge across the whole of Excel. You must be PROFICIENT with 70% of the ADVANCED CONCEPTS within Excel. You better be PROFICIENT with XML, Macros, Sharing concepts, Functions, Customization, etc... Building pretty spreadsheets is not what this exam is about. Good Luck Craig In Atlanta
    Monday, February 6, 2012 11:56 PM
  • Hi Craig,

Thanks for sharing your experience and I'm sorry to hear that you failed.

Jeff

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Please mark answered if I've answered your question and vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 12:39 AM
  • I passed the 77-888 exam yesterday. I didn't use any prep questions to pass the exam.

Please read my sharing here

Friday, December 21, 2012 4:23 AM
  • I passed the 77-888 exam yesterday. I didn't use any prep questions to pass the exam.

Please read my sharing here

You do realise that you've breached exam NDA by blogging about the number of questions and type of questions that appear in the exam?  Please remove that specific content to ensure that your blog post is not referred to the Microsoft Learning - Security Team.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Friday, December 21, 2012 7:18 AM
  • The Expert level exam is clearly about speed and time management. I have used Excel for 18 years and felt very pressed for time.  As a Business Analyst I am trained to review requirements thoroughly at the beginning middle and end.  The idea of reviewing the question more than once is not an option in my opinion.  I suggest you read the question once, get busy solving it and quickly get to the next question.   For someone who enjoys the challenge of providing a solution with Excel, it is very easy to get absorbed in the exam and lose track of time.

Regards, BSS

Friday, March 8, 2013 6:13 PM