Web site connectivity RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to setup the Web site connectivity.  The status say it configured, but not verified, when I click on the details it say only 2 things that didn't pass wereVerifying that your router is accepting Web site connections and Verifying that your router is accepting Web site connections.

Can anybody advises on to fix these 2 issues

Thanks

Sunday, April 27, 2008 11:14 AM

Answers

• Okay, then you may have some other issue. Have you actually tested to see if you can connect to your server from somewhere off your local network?
    Tuesday, April 29, 2008 11:38 AM

All replies

• It sounds like your ISP may be blocking certain incoming ports. You can test this using a web site such as Shields Up!, which will let you probe ports 80, 443, and 4125 to determine if they are blocked (they will usually report as STEALTH if your ISP is blocking them).

If your ISP is blocking these ports, you will have to contact them. You may have to upgrade to a different plan in order to get them to do this.

You may want to read the Remote Access technical brief for more details about this feature of Windows Home Server.
    Sunday, April 27, 2008 1:13 PM
  • I can use the homepage at homeserver.com to access WHS share files
    Monday, April 28, 2008 1:41 AM
  • Thanks for that STEALTH said port 80 and 443 are open and 4125 is close.  I did a netstat command (netstat /a /n /o) which show 80 and 443 not 4125 as well use microsoft Internet Connectivity Evaluation Tool and everything either pass or not tested exept for UPnP Support test which said it not supported, The setting in my router call Enable UPnP is turn on.   So I take it after all this I need to contact ISP and ask them to turn on 4125
    Monday, April 28, 2008 8:47 AM
  • No, your ISP is blocking 80 and 443. 4125 should show CLOSED; that port won't accept a direct connection.

While it's technically possible to change your server to use ports other than 80 and 443, those are the normal ports for a standard HTTP (80) and HTTPS (443) connection, and WHS does use them during the connector install process. Plus, as the standard, they're the ports that everyone uses for web access; changing them means that you'd have to repeatedly educate the folks you were giving information about your remote access web site.
    Monday, April 28, 2008 11:32 AM
  • Thanks I contacted my ISP to sk them to unblock port 80 and 443
    Monday, April 28, 2008 9:01 PM
  • Upon re-reading it's not clear from your prior post: when you tested 80 and 443 using Shields Up!, did that site report your ports as STEALTH or OPEN? If STEALTH, your ISP is probably blocking them. If open, you have a different issue.
    Tuesday, April 29, 2008 12:46 AM
  • Shield Up! results below

OPEN!
    http
    World Wide Web HTTP

OPEN!
    https
    http protocol over TLS/SSL

Closed
    Unknown Protocol for this port
    Unknown Application for this port

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 4:10 AM
  • Okay, then you may have some other issue. Have you actually tested to see if you can connect to your server from somewhere off your local network?
    Tuesday, April 29, 2008 11:38 AM
  • I can connect to the homepage on homeserver.com and view the share directory only at moment.

How do you configure a D-Link wireless router to forward inHow do you configure  a D-link wireless router to forward incoming TCP connections on port 80 and 443 to your computer's internal IP address (10.1.1.3)
    Wednesday, April 30, 2008 12:24 AM
  • You can find the information in the manual that came with your router (possibly a PDF on CD-ROM). Or you can find a guide for your router on PortForward.com.
    Wednesday, April 30, 2008 11:35 AM
  • Thanks, all was going I think.  Did access my homepage that you can use under homeserver.com (only issues is make the images appear).  I remove the port forwarding and readded it, but still could not get into it.
    When I check the router status nder web site connectivity the last 2 issues (Verifying that your router is accepting Remote Access connections Verifying that your router is accepting Remote Access connections) have a yellow triangle with a ! in middle of it.  I have forward port 80 and 443 to whs new IP address.  So why would happen?
    Friday, May 2, 2008 7:08 AM
  • First of my modem and router are correctly installed with port forwarding. Gives me the same error messages- but can connect with no problems. I spent two days trying to figure it out. I think it has something to do with port 4125 and my service provider. 4125 for me also did not pass with Sheilds up. Just make sure to program your router with tcp on ports 80,443,4125 and direct the to your server's ip address. Make sure your server has a static ip address that never changes. AND MAKE SURE YOU USE INTERNET EXPLORER TO CONNECT TO THE WEB SITE- NOT ANY OTHER BROWSER. I used Mozilla and could not connect remotely to computers.
    Friday, May 2, 2008 2:04 PM
  • Still didn't work. thry http to homerserver which took me to the router and https couldn't locate.  I have forward the web server (which contain port 80 and 443).  Also added my WHS IP address (10.1.1.253 ) in the LAN Client of the router.  Only thing I don't how to do or check is forward 10.1.1.1 (router) to 10.1.1.253 (WHS IP address).  when install WHS it install an IP address of 10.1.1.3 to router for some reasons
    Saturday, May 3, 2008 10:15 AM