I have a virus (or something) it keeps shutting down OneLive / Windows Defender & my firewalls RRS feed

• Question

• I worked for several hours yesterday to trouble-shoot my antivirus service, because it would not start, and would not update.  My anti-malware would not download ad update.  I was able to finally get into and unblock OneLive (which had been firewalled).  I thought all was "fixed".  On their face, all of the firewalls and systems appear to be functional.  My firewalls say they are on, but not working the way they are supposed to.  OneLive does not appear to be catching anything.  I finally got Windows Defender to say it is "on" but I got a pop-up saying it is off and I am not protected.  However, the Windows security screen still says it is on and everything is fine.  OneLive says everything is still fine.

One problem, I was not the one to set up OneLive on this computer - my husband did and he is out of the country (unable to be reached by phone).  I don't have the passwords or numbers to type in to fix this...  how am I supposed to trouble shoot the rest of these problems???   Therefore I can't take off OneLive and reload it because I don't have the codes.  Help??? 

Sunday, April 20, 2008 11:35 PM

Answers

• You should not have any other antivirus, antispyware or firewall applications installed if you are using One Care. When One Care is installed it disables Windows Defender and the Windows Firewall because it includes spyware protection and a firewall. With One Care installed having Windows Defender and the Windows Firewall turned off is the correct configuration.

Monday, April 21, 2008 1:25 AM