CHKDSK issues (running for 1.5 weeks now) RRS feed

• Question

• So I'm having a bit of trouble with my system and I was hoping somebody could help me get it running again.

Setup:
    WHS v1 w/ PP3
    About 11 drives and 10TB of space
    ~1TB of photos, music, documents, code, etc that is duplicated
    ~8TB of videos that are not duplicated

The first thing that happened was that I got a health warning for a hard drive. I repaired it and it then reported itself as healthy but that there were file conflicts. I did nothing to investigate them as I was leaving town for a couple days.

When I got back my WHS was down. I hooked up a monitor and found it on step 2 of CHKDSK. I figured that the health warning caused it to want to CHKDSK the drive on next boot and that a patch had been downloaded and the server had been rebooted while I was away.

I Google'd how long the CHKDSK should take and saw some people stating several hours, some stating several days and some as long as a week. I gave it 3 or 4 days before shutting it down and investigating the issue.

I disconnected drives until I found the one that was having issues. With that drive disconnected the computer boots up fine but the drive is missing (obviously). With it connected the CHKDSK runs, a couple issues are found in step 1 and then step 2 begins and I see no progress after that.

I copied some of my most essential files off of the server while the offending drive was disconnected and then I decided to let CHKDSK run for a longer time because I was going on another trip and might as well leave it running while I was gone. It has now been running for about 11 days and is still reporting that it is at the start of step 2.

What should I do now?

My first thought was to remove the drive, suck up the data loss, format it on another computer, check it's SMART errors and if it's good re-add it. I'm hoping there is some way to do it without data loss though as I have a large amount of non-duplicated videos that I would lose. Is there a way to simply remove the CHKDSK flag from the drive? Can I add it to another computer and see if the CHKDSK runs faster on it and then put it back in my WHS?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 10:29 PM

Answers

• So I'm having a bit of trouble with my system and I was hoping somebody could help me get it running again.

Setup:
    WHS v1 w/ PP3

The first thing that happened was that I got a health warning for a hard drive. I repaired it and it then reported itself as healthy but that there were file conflicts. I did nothing to investigate them as I was leaving town for a couple days.

When I got back my WHS was down. I hooked up a monitor and found it on step 2 of CHKDSK. I figured that the health warning caused it to want to CHKDSK the drive on next boot and that a patch had been downloaded and the server had been rebooted while I was away.

I Google'd how long the CHKDSK should take and saw some people stating several hours, some stating several days and some as long as a week. I gave it 3 or 4 days before shutting it down and investigating the issue.

I disconnected drives until I found the one that was having issues. With that drive disconnected the computer boots up fine but the drive is missing (obviously). With it connected the CHKDSK runs, a couple issues are found in step 1 and then step 2 begins and I see no progress after that.

I copied some of my most essential files off of the server while the offending drive was disconnected and then I decided to let CHKDSK run for a longer time because I was going on another trip and might as well leave it running while I was gone. It has now been running for about 11 days and is still reporting that it is at the start of step 2.

What should I do now? 
    If it was me, I would (in this order) A) get as much data off that drive as I could by attaching it to a client, B) run chkdsk /r on it (again, from a client), C) if it had any anomalies (bad sectors, chkdsk "getting stuck", etc.), toss it.

My first thought was to remove the drive, suck up the data loss, format it on another computer, check it's SMART errors and if it's good re-add it. I'm hoping there is some way to do it without data loss though as I have a large amount of non-duplicated videos that I would lose. Is there a way to simply remove the CHKDSK flag from the drive?  
    You should be able to skip a chkdsk after the reboot (it should say something like "press any button to skip the scheduled chkdsk").

Can I add it to another computer and see if the CHKDSK runs faster on it and then put it back in my WHS?

• Marked as answer by MikeCousins Friday, August 20, 2010 8:25 PM
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 4:14 AM
  • So I plugged it into another computer and it automatically did a chkdsk on it.  It got stuck during step 2.

I rebooted and skipped the chkdsk and looked at the SMART status of the drive and it seems to be failing.  There are quite a few reallocated sectors.

I wanted to try to grab the data off of it but when I view the drive in My Computer it shows the drive as empty.  By the properties of it it shows that it's nearly full with data though, I just can't see it.  Any idea why I can't see it?  The client machine is Windows 7 x64.

I removed the faulty drive from the data pool now and added a new one to replace it and all seems to be running fine on my WHS, but I want to save the files that I deleted from the pool that are on this drive if I can.

Make sure you have Show hidden files and folders enabled, then look in the folder called DE.  If you can't even get that far, your drive is probably beyond salvaging.
    Friday, August 20, 2010 12:36 AM
  • Great!  They were just hidden, I didn't even think to try that.  Some of the files were corrupted but I got the vast majority saved.  Thanks for your help.
    Friday, August 20, 2010 8:18 PM
  • Oh, and just as a side comment this is exactly the situation in which Vail would have utterly failed and I would have lost several disks worth of data instead of just a couple files.  I plead with you to change the storage mechanism on Vail.
    • Marked as answer by MikeCousins Friday, August 20, 2010 8:26 PM
    Friday, August 20, 2010 8:25 PM

All replies

Setup:
    WHS v1 w/ PP3

What should I do now? 
    If it was me, I would (in this order) A) get as much data off that drive as I could by attaching it to a client, B) run chkdsk /r on it (again, from a client), C) if it had any anomalies (bad sectors, chkdsk "getting stuck", etc.), toss it.

My first thought was to remove the drive, suck up the data loss, format it on another computer, check it's SMART errors and if it's good re-add it. I'm hoping there is some way to do it without data loss though as I have a large amount of non-duplicated videos that I would lose. Is there a way to simply remove the CHKDSK flag from the drive?  
    You should be able to skip a chkdsk after the reboot (it should say something like "press any button to skip the scheduled chkdsk").

Can I add it to another computer and see if the CHKDSK runs faster on it and then put it back in my WHS?

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 4:14 AM
  • You should be able to skip a chkdsk after the reboot (it should say something like "press any button to skip the scheduled chkdsk").
    Thanks for the advice.  I tried to skip the chkdsk but it won't skip when I press a key during that phase.
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 6:51 PM
  • Pull the drive, connect it to some other computer, and run chkdsk /r there.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 12:41 PM
  • So I plugged it into another computer and it automatically did a chkdsk on it.  It got stuck during step 2.

I rebooted and skipped the chkdsk and looked at the SMART status of the drive and it seems to be failing.  There are quite a few reallocated sectors.

I wanted to try to grab the data off of it but when I view the drive in My Computer it shows the drive as empty.  By the properties of it it shows that it's nearly full with data though, I just can't see it.  Any idea why I can't see it?  The client machine is Windows 7 x64.

I removed the faulty drive from the data pool now and added a new one to replace it and all seems to be running fine on my WHS, but I want to save the files that I deleted from the pool that are on this drive if I can.

Thursday, August 19, 2010 3:56 PM

Make sure you have Show hidden files and folders enabled, then look in the folder called DE.  If you can't even get that far, your drive is probably beyond salvaging.
    Friday, August 20, 2010 12:36 AM
  • Great!  They were just hidden, I didn't even think to try that.  Some of the files were corrupted but I got the vast majority saved.  Thanks for your help.
    Friday, August 20, 2010 8:18 PM
  • Oh, and just as a side comment this is exactly the situation in which Vail would have utterly failed and I would have lost several disks worth of data instead of just a couple files.  I plead with you to change the storage mechanism on Vail.
    • Marked as answer by MikeCousins Friday, August 20, 2010 8:26 PM
    Friday, August 20, 2010 8:25 PM