Can't turn Windows firewall on RRS feed

• Question

• HELP!! I have Windows XP and had enabled the Windows Firewall.  Recently my Windows One Care told me the firewall was off and I needed to turn it back on.  I went to the Windows One Care site and tried a Firewall fix which lasted about 15 minutes. When I try manually to turn it on I get the message "For your security, some settings are controlled by Group Policy.  Since our computer is our home one and not part of at "group"  what do I do?
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 9:29 PM

Answers

• Dear Steve,
    Thanks for trying to help. Unfortunately it was not enough.  For those still having problems the One Care support phone number is [deleted].  It took awhile but they were able to help.  I don't know if the solution is permanent but we will see.  My firewall has been on for about 1/2 hour and that is better than any other fix had done.
    Sharon
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 5:32 PM

All replies

• I am having the same problem. This has been an ongoing problem for a about 1 month. Even when I click on "Fix IT" it pops up the same message that is being reported by Sharon85. PLEASE HELP!!!! thank you.......

Thursday, October 23, 2008 10:09 PM
  • IS THIS WHAT THEY OFFER US LATELY? THEY DON'T FORGET TO REMIND YOU LIKE 8 MONTHS BEFORE YOUR SERVICE EXPIRES ABOUT IT ...BUT TO FIX PROBLEM ...IT IS PROBLEM
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 10:21 PM
  • One care controls the windows firewall options when it is installed that is the "group policy". Did it tell you too enable the windows firewall , or the onecare firewall?

Try going into

Right click "my computer" then go too "manage"

on the left pane "services and applications"

on the right pane "services" a list of services should open

scroll through and look for the "onecare firewall" make sure it is set too "automatic"

If its not started start the service

Monday, October 27, 2008 9:31 PM
  • Sebastion,
    Thanks for trying.
    I tried the above procedure but every time I started the service it stopped.  After 3 tries it said the service turns itself off if it is not needed.
    Still no firewall.

P.S. I already have a registry cleaner and it has been unable to do anything.
    Monday, October 27, 2008 11:24 PM
  • If the OneCare firewall is turned off and won't stay on try the 

Firewall repair tool - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2468376&SiteID=2

If that does not resolve it, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Note that the Windows Firewall should be *off* when OneCare is installed and running.

-steve

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 4:06 PM
  • Dear Steve,
    Thanks for trying to help. Unfortunately it was not enough.  For those still having problems the One Care support phone number is [deleted].  It took awhile but they were able to help.  I don't know if the solution is permanent but we will see.  My firewall has been on for about 1/2 hour and that is better than any other fix had done.
    Sharon
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 5:32 PM
  • I did what you said about going to my computer and right clicking, however, when I hit start it says that it started and stopped and sometimes this happens because there's no work for it to do. What does this mean? Every time I turn my computer on I have a red #1 and it tells me to turn my firewall on and then doesn't let me do it. Please Help!

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 6:30 PM
  •  Angel31. wrote:

I did what you said about going to my computer and right clicking, however, when I hit start it says that it started and stopped and sometimes this happens because there's no work for it to do. What does this mean? Every time I turn my computer on I have a red #1 and it tells me to turn my firewall on and then doesn't let me do it. Please Help!

Please contact support for help, Angel.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 7:17 PM