none
Doubt about Microsoft Certifications RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there,
    I need some suggestions because I’m in the moment to take a decision and really don’t know what to do.
    I already took A+ /Network+ certifications and keep going for the next level. The problem is: Which Microsoft certification should be the right one? The ultimate ones are MCTS/MCITP and supposedly are equivalents to MCSA/MCSE, but most of businesses still keep windows XP and server 2003, even 2000 in some cases... I’m not sure if it should be a good decision to take windows 7 and server 2008 or taking MCSA/MCSE and later an upgrade to MCTS/MCITP.
    Another thing: it’s not clear (at least for me) the exam equivalence between MCSA/MCSE and MCTS/MCITP. I know the following for a program offered in a school:

Exams to get MCSA:

·        Windows XP Professional 70-270

·        Windows Server 2003 Server Management 70-290

·        Windows Server 2003 Network Management 70-291

Plus these to get the MCSE:

·        Windows Server 2003 Network Planning 70-293

·        Windows Server 2003 Active Directory Planning 70-294

·        Windows 2000 Directory Services Design 70-297

MCTS:
    ?
    MCITP:
    ?

Other option should be: the school where I'm enrolled gave me A+ and Network+ (2009) but they don't offer MCTS or MCITP, they only have MCSA/MCSE. That's why I'm asking for equivalency. For example, if I could use one MCSA class to prepare for one of MCTS.

In the Microsoft website there is a lot of information and exam numbers, but I'm lost. Any clarification or help will be appreciated.
    Thanks,

I'm new in this field, the question marks are because they don’t seem to be equivalents.

Abdel Valdes.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 12:40 PM

Answers

• I probably sound like a broken record, but...do you want to get certifications in 7+ year old technology, or in what is most current?

FWIW, the MCITP Server Administrator is essentially equivalent to the MCSA, and the MCITP Enterprise Administrator is essentially equivalent to the MCSE.

That said, there are a number of companies (at least in the US) that are adopting Win7/Server 2008.  Knowing the most current client/server technologies is always the best recommendation.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 4:01 PM
    Answerer