Windows Vista RC1 is no longer Genuine RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello,

I am running vista build 5600, and all was well till I tried to download IE7, it told me I needed to validate, and then said I was not genuine. It also said that my product key was blocked due to it not being validated. I tested this on two other machines, and it did the same. I was wondering if there was a way to reverse this because when I reboot aero says that it is shut down, and update fails to run. I believe that there may be a compat issue, because onecare validated fine, but maybe the windows validation site isn't set up for vista, and thus this is the result. Anyways, any help would be much appreciated.

Leon

Monday, October 23, 2006 5:25 AM

Answers

• Okey-dokey.  The error code you reported shows that the product key you are using is being reported as blocked.  Can you go to system control panel page, copy your PID, and email that to me at 'reizen at microsoft dot. com?'  I don't want your 5x5 key, just the PID that shows up in the system control panel.  I will check your PID against the backend server and see what's up.
    Monday, October 23, 2006 10:26 PM

All replies

• Leon:

Are yo utalking about Activation?

Monday, October 23, 2006 7:06 AM
  • False Not genuine can be caused by a few things I know about off the top of my head:

#1) Running Spyware Doctor. PC Tools didn't have a "code bug" per se, but a technique they were using collided with some of our protection team's code to generate a "tampered binary" condition. 

#2) If running Trend Micro PC-cillin A/V and you upgraded from XP, we're seeing similar false positives -- related to an issue like #1 above.  Workaround is to install the latest PC-cillin which works well under Vista.

#3) A bug with our token store code on certain NTFS partitions (related to allocation unit size).  This was fixed post RC1, so workaround would be to upgrade to RC2 build.

If you have more information about what specific error codes (0xC00-blah-blah) and error messages you're seeing, we may be able to help further. Thanks, Rich

Monday, October 23, 2006 10:56 AM
  • so your responce to this problem is that we should upgrade to RC2?

how can we do that if RC2 was out for download only for 3-4days?

is it possible to make an upgrade pack from windows update to upgrade to RC2 or something ?

Monday, October 23, 2006 2:14 PM
  •  CTL Advance wrote:

Hello,

I am running vista build 5600, and all was well till I tried to download IE7, it told me I needed to validate, and then said I was not genuine. It also said that my product key was blocked due to it not being validated. I tested this on two other machines, and it did the same. I was wondering if there was a way to reverse this because when I reboot aero says that it is shut down, and update fails to run. I believe that there may be a compat issue, because onecare validated fine, but maybe the windows validation site isn't set up for vista, and thus this is the result. Anyways, any help would be much appreciated.

Leon

The released version of IE7 was designed specifically for Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, and not Windows Vista (beta).  It cannot be installed on a beta version of Windows Vista.

IE7 System Requirements: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie7/about/sysreqs/default.mspx

Monday, October 23, 2006 2:50 PM
  • This is just a problem with me being focused internal and on shipping Vista. I'm sorry -- I had no idea that RC2 was only available for 4 days.  I'll check around to see whether MS has released a build with our NTFS/Token Store fix in it... Sorry for the apparent randomization.
    Monday, October 23, 2006 5:34 PM
  • OK, let me clarrify a few things here before we continue. I was downloading IE7 to install on an xp machine which was not yet configured for internet access. When I went to download it, windows genuine software popped up and said that I wasn't legit and that my product key would be blocked until the issue was resolved. I tried it on another machine in my office running the same build, and the same results occured. This could be an internal issue, but I have tested it three times and all three returned the same results.

No, I wasn't talking about activation. When I origonally installed back in september, I activated my copy over the phone. I don't trust TrendMicro products due to the fact that it has never actually worked for anyone I know using it. In my opinion Norton works much better. But lets not get into this discussion.

I also had spybot installed and completely removed it, didn't fix my problem. There are no error codes, just that when windos starts it  pops up saying that aero is not running and windows update fails (typical). On my desktop now, also it says that "This copy of windows is not genuine".

If this is an NTFS problem, and its occurring(spelling?) in RC1then is there a patch or registry entry I can do to adjust this?

Thanks

Leon

Monday, October 23, 2006 7:22 PM
  •  

Oh, and my security software is Windows Live OneCare betav1.5. I did not activate that yet because it said that I would get an email telling me what to do to activate it, and there is 160 or so days left on it. Other than that there is no more security software.

Monday, October 23, 2006 7:37 PM
  • Here are the results of the MGA Diagnostics tool, the online one works fine. I am going to fiddle with my internet security options in IE7.

Diagnostic Report (1.5.0555.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Unsupported OS
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-YWW4P-9J3HP-DYDVC
    Windows Product Key Hash: V2+rCrY8eTylK42OfEceLaCHR2U=
    Windows Product ID: 78426-007-0000392-70398
    Windows Product ID Type: 0
    Windows License Type: Unknown
    Windows OS version: 6.0.5600.2.00010100.0.0.000
    ID: 33f93c0c-eb58-4084-8a9e-2ed437db9f27
    Is Admin: No
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.708.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

System Scan Data-->
    Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 111
    Office Diagnostics:

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>33f93c0c-eb58-4084-8a9e-2ed437db9f27</UGUID><Version>1.5.0555.0</Version><OS>6.0.5600.2.00010100.0.0.000</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-DYDVC</PKey><PID>78426-007-0000392-70398</PID><PIDType>0</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-675651687-3445187900-2964488636</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard          </Manufacturer><Model>Presario 2100 (PF181UA)  </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies Ltd.</Manufacturer><Version>KAM1.59  </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20040419000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>FF313507018400EE</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>111</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Monday, October 23, 2006 7:44 PM
  • ok i tried to reactivate and it says that mp product key is in use, and throws error 0xc004c003.
    Monday, October 23, 2006 7:53 PM
  • Okey-dokey.  The error code you reported shows that the product key you are using is being reported as blocked.  Can you go to system control panel page, copy your PID, and email that to me at 'reizen at microsoft dot. com?'  I don't want your 5x5 key, just the PID that shows up in the system control panel.  I will check your PID against the backend server and see what's up.
    Monday, October 23, 2006 10:26 PM
  •  Rich Eizenhoefer - MS wrote:
    This is just a problem with me being focused internal and on shipping Vista. I'm sorry -- I had no idea that RC2 was only available for 4 days.  I'll check around to see whether MS has released a build with our NTFS/Token Store fix in it... Sorry for the apparent randomization.

if u release a fix like that i am 100% sure that all the validation problems will be solved...

keep up the good work Rich ;)

Monday, October 23, 2006 10:35 PM
  •  

Why would the PID be active for a month and then become blocked on the system? Is it possible that the same system ID was given out more than once?

could the fact that I activated my system over the phone matter for validation?

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 1:52 AM
  • I worked with CTL_Advance offline via email and we discovered that he was attempting to activate with the default product key installed by setup when one does not enter a key during setup.  From June through October 5th, MS customer service representatives were allowing a "phone override" activation for these keys when users called in.  This was a communication/logistics problem on our part; it took some time to get the "setup default keys" blocked in the PSS call centers.  The keys are blocked now, so neither online nor phone activation is allowed any longer.

CTL_Advance, you now have a Vista Business RC1 key that should allow activation.  Rich

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 8:55 PM
  •  Rich Eizenhoefer - MS wrote:

I worked with CTL_Advance offline via email and we discovered that he was attempting to activate with the default product key installed by setup when one does not enter a key during setup.  From June through October 5th, MS customer service representatives were allowing a "phone override" activation for these keys when users called in.  This was a communication/logistics problem on our part; it took some time to get the "setup default keys" blocked in the PSS call centers.  The keys are blocked now, so neither online nor phone activation is allowed any longer.

CTL_Advance, you now have a Vista Business RC1 key that should allow activation.  Rich

Diagnostic Report (1.5.0555.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Unsupported OS
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-229KY-TQKVD-9J2BV
    Windows Product Key Hash: +jFWAa8my4e5KS8vmOrbEnhdswE=
    Windows Product ID: 78427-102-9547287-70475
    Windows Product ID Type: 0
    Windows License Type: Unknown
    Windows OS version: 6.0.5600.2.00010100.0.0.000
    ID: d17b0642-b0e9-4c9c-920f-9af1c3802fbe
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.708.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

System Scan Data-->
    Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 111
    Office Diagnostics:

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>d17b0642-b0e9-4c9c-920f-9af1c3802fbe</UGUID><Version>1.5.0555.0</Version><OS>6.0.5600.2.00010100.0.0.000</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-9J2BV</PKey><PID>78427-102-9547287-70475</PID><PIDType>0</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-602162358-1682526488-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>eveshamvale</Manufacturer><Model>AWRDACPI</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="2"/><Date>20050907000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>69013A07018400E6</HWID><UserLCID>0408</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GTB Standard Time(GMT+02:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>111</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

can this thing work for me also?

Thursday, October 26, 2006 6:23 PM
  • btw the error i get is 0xC004D401
    Saturday, October 28, 2006 10:09 PM
  • The error you are getting now (0xC004D401, from your next post) indicates that the protection mechanism that guards activation believes that one or more binaries has been tampered/replaced, etc.  This is almost certainly not the case.

There are two known compatibility issues that we're working with vendors to address right now:

#1) PC Tools Spyware Doctor has a known issue that will cause this condition; a modified version of Spyware Doctor is targeted for mid-November to address.  Workaround for now is to go into safe mode without networking and uninstall Spyware Doctor.

#2) If you upgraded from Windows XP, a version of Trend Micro's PC-Cillin software will manifest this same error code.  The workaround is to download and install a Vista intended version of PC-Cillin, generally version 14.56 or greater.

If you're running either of those applications, the workarounds above should help.  After performing the workarounds, you'd need to visit a WGA enabled web site like Vista update to have your system re-checked and affirmed as genuine.  If neither of the two cases above apply to you, just let me know and I'll get one of our protection guys to read this post and engage with you to track down the issue.

Monday, October 30, 2006 6:44 PM
  • i dont have any of those programms

i use Avast Antivirus Pro and Ad-Aware

Tuesday, October 31, 2006 3:14 PM
  • Per our email thread, this is happening because of the GameGuard software that was installed with Lineage.  Our protection team is talking with the authors regarding their binary patching our software licensing code (which reports the patch as an attack). Workaround for now is to not use GameGuard, which sadly implies that Lineage can't be run for now as well...
    Thursday, November 2, 2006 4:09 PM