Linux PC on WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I have several Windows PC's on my WHS except for one orphan Linux PC.....is there anyway to backup this PC?....thanks...
    Friday, July 17, 2009 6:29 PM

All replies

• You can configure the Linux PC to back up to a share on your server using e.g. tar, gzip, and similar *nix utilities. Other than that, no. Windows Home Server per se only supports Windows operating systems.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, July 17, 2009 6:40 PM
  • Could I use something like Rich Copy and copy all the files from the orphan to a shared folder?  This would have to be run manually on a networked Win PC I suppose. Is that the only viable option?...thanks again...

Friday, July 17, 2009 8:32 PM
  • I don't know anything about Rich Copy, but probably you could use it. I recommend you check with the author of the software as to it's suitability...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, July 17, 2009 8:39 PM
  • I have several Windows PC's on my WHS except for one orphan Linux PC.....is there anyway to backup this PC?....thanks...

I think that really depends on what you mean by "backup".  If you mean just data from the Linux box, you should be able to using any copy tool.  However, I doubt you will ever get a "complete backup" (including the OS), and even if you did, you couldn't restore it as a Bare Metal Restore.
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 12:12 AM
  • Acronis True Image will back up Linux partitions and can do a bare metal restore of your Linux box. It has the capability of connecting to Windows networks from its bootable media (CD or flash drive), so you could back up your Linux PC to a folder on your WHS, and you could restore from the image file on the WHS back to your Linux PC over the network. It is basically a Windows app that will not run on your Linux PC, but the boot environment is Linux and will run on anything. Another possibility is Clonezilla, which is a native Linux app. If you download PartedMagic, it includes a copy of Clonezilla that functions from a bootable CD or flash drive, and the boot environment supports Windows networking. Then again, if your Linux machine can communicate with your Windows network, just install Clonezilla and go from there. I am currently doing the former (with Acronis) but have not yet tested the latter (Clonezilla).
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 2:45 AM