Sharing files without sharing computers? RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to allow file sharing without the person sharing the files also having the option to even see the computers that are on the system, i.e. I'd like my brother to be able to login and upload/download some family photos from another state, but I don't want him to be able to remote control my computers. Thanks
    Sunday, November 25, 2007 5:25 AM

Answers

•  Boaster01 wrote:
    Is it possible to allow file sharing without the person sharing the files also having the option to even see the computers that are on the system, i.e. I'd like my brother to be able to login and upload/download some family photos from another state, but I don't want him to be able to remote control my computers. Thanks

The only way to do that would be to disable Remote Desktop on the client PC (which would block everyone, not just him).  He would still be able to see the PCs in the list, just not login to them.

Sunday, November 25, 2007 5:42 AM

All replies

•  Boaster01 wrote:
    Is it possible to allow file sharing without the person sharing the files also having the option to even see the computers that are on the system, i.e. I'd like my brother to be able to login and upload/download some family photos from another state, but I don't want him to be able to remote control my computers. Thanks

The only way to do that would be to disable Remote Desktop on the client PC (which would block everyone, not just him).  He would still be able to see the PCs in the list, just not login to them.

Sunday, November 25, 2007 5:42 AM
  •  Boaster01 wrote:

The way I set up my WHS accounts is that I have accounts for...

• my Root user (my common desktop/laptop and network administrator user account)
    • my wife (a limited user on her XP Pro desktop and as a standard user on my Vista Ultimate laptop)
    • me (a standard user on my Vista Ultimate laptop)
    • my brother (a remote access user who live out of state)

Root has access to all folders/files on the WHS and all of our local PCs. My wife has full (ie. read/write) access to shared folders on the WHS and her specific personal folder on the WHS. Likewise for me. My brother only has read/write access to the shared folders.

Both my brother and I have remote access permission. Neither my wife or the Root user have remote access permission.

As far as Remote Desktop is concerned only my wife's account and Root can access her desktop. If I need to access my wife's PC with Remote Desktop locally or remotely via the WHS Remote Desktop proxy I use either her login name/password or my Root user name and password. I have Remote Desktop disabled on my Vista laptop. My brother (who does have remote access permission) can not access her XP Pro desktop or the WHS via Remote Desktop or the WHS console simply because he does not know the appropriate passwords.

Note that I also configure Remote Desktop on my wife's XP Pro machine to always prompt for a password. That is done via a group policy.

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RDP6-12.jpg

Sunday, November 25, 2007 12:33 PM