none
Setting up Windows server so you can log on to multiple pcs and have access to all your files for a number of users RRS feed

• Question

• Hi and what a great forum! I am just starting to pursue a career in IT and am attending college for a degree as a network administrator. Now i would like to set up a Home Server at home. Now what i would like to do is be-able to allow all family members access to all there files anywhere in the house on any computer whether its a laptop or desktop. Now this would be for about 6 users so its not big but i would like to try and get it up and running. Anyone have any suggestions for me would be greatfully appreciated! 

Thanks for the help in advance! 
     Dean 
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 9:41 PM

All replies

• Hi and what a great forum! I am just starting to pursue a career in IT and am attending college for a degree as a network administrator. Now i would like to set up a Home Server at home. Now what i would like to do is be-able to allow all family members access to all there files anywhere in the house on any computer whether its a laptop or desktop. Now this would be for about 6 users so its not big but i would like to try and get it up and running. Anyone have any suggestions for me would be greatfully appreciated! 

Thanks for the help in advance! 
     Dean 
    You should start by looking at the MS website devoted to WHS (especially the Support section where there are various Technical Briefs on the product).  Then, if you have more specific questions not covered in those documents, feel free to come back and ask.  :)
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 11:48 PM
  • You can make the shared folders available to everyone. That option works if you have a secure network behind a router/firewall, wifi encrypted, etc. Otherwise, anyone could get access to your files.

Monday, November 2, 2009 4:18 PM