none
Changing Processor RRS feed

• Question

• I have a HP desktop that has a dual core processor and I am wanting to get a quad core for it. I was wondering if I would have anytrouble with vista if a got a new processor. Also the computer did not come with a reinstall disk.
    Friday, June 20, 2008 12:53 AM

Answers

• Hi Dustin S,

First off, computers that come with Vista Pre-Installed do come with a Windows Recovery process. Some manufacturers include it on a disk and some put it in a partition on the computer's hard drive. I know that the HP laptop that I recently got had it on the hard drive (check the documentation that came with the computer or contact HP with questions or for additional help with the Windows Recovery process).

As for changing your processor,

From a Licensing/Anti-Piracy Prospective:

The short answer is: No, your copy of Vista will still be licensed to run on that computer after you change the CPU.

The long answer is:  Windows that come pre-installed on a computer are under the OEM License which means that it is only Licensed to run on the original computer it was frst installed on.  Microsoft classifies the Motherboard as the core of a computer. So you can change any other componets, in that computer, and it will still be the "same" computer. But if you change out the Motherboard, a "new" computer is created and that OEM copy of Vista would no longer be licensed to run on that "new" computer.

In comparison, a Retail copy of Vista is licensed to run on any number of computers, as long as it is Only installed on one (1) computer at a time.

Note: After changing the CPU, you may be required to Re-Activate Vista and you would need to use the Activate by Phone method.

From a Technical Prospective:

There may be other techical considerations/issues, with Vista, that stem from changing a CPU. I am not an expert in this area, so I would suggest going to one of the Vista Newgroups http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=42486 and ask if anyone can outline any possible (non-licensing) problems, with Vista, you may encounter when changing a CPU and what workarounds to use to avoid or correct the issue(s).

I hope that helps,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Friday, June 20, 2008 8:02 PM