Hardware replacement by Dell, now Windows 7 says its not a valid installation RRS feed

• Question

• I just had my Dell Precision 690 replaced by Dell as it could not be repaired, the replacement was a Dell Precision T7400, so the hardware is a bit newer than before. I swapped my hard drives into the newer computer, (I am running mirrored 72GB 15K SAS drives), and configured the SAS controller, the computer boots up just fine and runs great with all of my applications intact including Microsoft Office 2010, (64bit). It did require that I re-register the Outlook 2010, (which did not require entering an unlocking key), also went without a hitch. The problem is now it is telling me my Windows 7 Professional, (also 64 bit), is not genuine and it will not accept my unlocking key for validation even though I still have 5 of the 10 licenses available for use from my Action Pack subscription. Is there anyway to activate my Windows 7 without formatting my drives and re-installing all of my programs?
    John Bouman
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 6:19 PM

Answers

• I suspect you may be running into a problem with the type of Windows installed on your Dell.

If my suspicion is correct, you need to use the Windows Easy Transfer to save your files and settings from the old drive while you have it installed.  Then swap drives so that the drive that came with the new computer is installed.  (This configuration may not require activation if the Dell installed OS is OEM SLP as is usually the case with Dell.)  Reinstall your programs and restore your files and settings using WET.

The problem may be that the OS on the old drive is looking for the OEM SLP table in the BIOS on the old board. 

What you need to do next to make sure is follow the instruction in announcement 1 above.

In order to receive the best support, we request all users initially download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool (MGADiag.exe) at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue", click the "Copy" button then “Paste” the report into a reply message in this thread.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 6:39 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• I suspect you may be running into a problem with the type of Windows installed on your Dell.

If my suspicion is correct, you need to use the Windows Easy Transfer to save your files and settings from the old drive while you have it installed.  Then swap drives so that the drive that came with the new computer is installed.  (This configuration may not require activation if the Dell installed OS is OEM SLP as is usually the case with Dell.)  Reinstall your programs and restore your files and settings using WET.

The problem may be that the OS on the old drive is looking for the OEM SLP table in the BIOS on the old board. 

What you need to do next to make sure is follow the instruction in announcement 1 above.

In order to receive the best support, we request all users initially download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool (MGADiag.exe) at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue", click the "Copy" button then “Paste” the report into a reply message in this thread.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 6:39 PM
    Answerer
  • Windows Easy Transfer is not an option, the problem is the replacement Dell Precision T7400 did not come with any drives or O/S and the old Dell Precision 690 has already been shipped back to Dell. The O/S that is on my current drive(s) is from my Action Pack subscription which gives me 10 copies of Windows 7 Professional for internal use.
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 6:50 PM
  • You still need to post the Diag before anything can be analyzed.
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 6:53 PM
    Answerer
  • Will post it as soon as I can get to it, at work now. Thanks!!
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 7:05 PM
  • No reply from the original poster.

Issue is assumed to be resolved.

Darin MS
    Monday, March 7, 2011 10:39 PM