Really confused about how to get install to see HDD RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have an spare (older) PC with a Socket 754 Abit KV8-Max3 M/B, AMD64 3000+ CPU, 2GB of OCZ DDR400, a 74GB Raptor and a a Barracuda 7200.9 300GB SATA drive.  My company susbscribes to MSDN and I dabble in the Media Centre SDK so I decided I'd like to install WHS on this machine.... it's older I know but it should work according the minimum hardware requirements (and in fact under XP this is still a very snappy machine).

Ok, so not long after I start the install I get what it seems most others get as well - the dreaded "Hard drive capable of hosting windows home server was not found" message.

Now, at this point, I'm confused about what drivers WHS wants - is it the W2K3 driver(s) for the SATA drive itself or is it the SATA driver for the motherboard or is it the SATA RAID drivers?   If it's either of the first two, then why does it need these?  Why does every other MS O/S (including W7 beta) see the two standard SATA drives in my system and install perfectly well?  What causes WHS to not recognise my drives?  Why is it so fussy?

I simply don't have a SATA driver for my motherboard as the ABit site does not list one... it only lists the Si1334 SATA RAID driver and the VIA RAID driver - and I don't even want to use RAID!  And I've *never* heard of an O/S needing a driver for a specific hard-drive - again, if it's this it wants, why?

Because I don't know what driver it *actually wants* I've been trying all sorts and the only one that seems to allow me to continue to install is the "VIAMRAID" driver (D/L'd from the Abit site for the KV8-Max3) but when I specify that it seems to load then gives me the dreaded error about the txtsetup.oem... but I have the file on the USB key I'm loading the driver from!!  (So again, what gives?)  It then seems to install prefectly normally but of course when I reboot I get the BSOD!  (And since I don't know what driver it wants I don't know which ones to put on a floppy.)  I've also tried turning off the RAID capability on the M/B thinking it was just that but it still won't recognise drives at the start of the install - so I'm completely confused!

I know this issue has been talked about a lot and I've googled it loads and read at least 15-20 threads and I still haven't found the answer to what driver WHS actually wants - so can someone please explain this to me?  I'm not a noob when it comes to O/S's or W2K at all but I simply don't understand why WHS is so damned fussy about what it installs on!!

Hope someone can help.... I'm on the edge of giving up on WHS which I don't really want to do.

Mike
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 8:16 AM

Answers

• Because WHS is based on Server 2003, it does not have SATA driver support built in. There is no "driver for the SATA drive itself", rather it is the SATA controller on the motherboard. (This is often, though not necessarily, also the RAID driver as many controllers do have limited support for RAID)

Your motherboard either uses Si1334 or VIA chipset. I'm guessing it depends on your specific model, since it may be pretty generic for many motherboard families. Make sure you are getting the right driver, it is 32-bit one. Also may be worth it to try XP driver if there is no specific Windows 2003 driver.

The other choice, if your BIOS has that option, is to default the SATA ports into IDE emulation mode. Then WHS will see it as an IDE controller and should have no problems installing.
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 8:34 AM
  • After a quick poke around i found this:
    Support for SerialATA (2 channels - VT8237, with support for RAID)
    Support for the SerialATA (4 channels - Sil3114, with support for RAID)

Your board can have 6 sata disks attached, as for raid dont worry you can use it as individual disks.
    If you have the original cd that can with the board that will have the drivers if not then you can download below.

Via drivers here: http://www.viaarena.com/Driver/via_windows_falcon_ide_v270a.zip

Sil3114 here: http://www.flextronics.com/iwill/product_imgs/55/sil3114.zip (Contains a bunch of driver XP one should do)

WHS requires an 80gb disk for the system and data drive, so it may not install to the raptor.

Saturday, April 11, 2009 9:34 AM

All replies

• Because WHS is based on Server 2003, it does not have SATA driver support built in. There is no "driver for the SATA drive itself", rather it is the SATA controller on the motherboard. (This is often, though not necessarily, also the RAID driver as many controllers do have limited support for RAID)

Your motherboard either uses Si1334 or VIA chipset. I'm guessing it depends on your specific model, since it may be pretty generic for many motherboard families. Make sure you are getting the right driver, it is 32-bit one. Also may be worth it to try XP driver if there is no specific Windows 2003 driver.

The other choice, if your BIOS has that option, is to default the SATA ports into IDE emulation mode. Then WHS will see it as an IDE controller and should have no problems installing.
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 8:34 AM
  • After a quick poke around i found this:
    Support for SerialATA (2 channels - VT8237, with support for RAID)
    Support for the SerialATA (4 channels - Sil3114, with support for RAID)

Your board can have 6 sata disks attached, as for raid dont worry you can use it as individual disks.
    If you have the original cd that can with the board that will have the drivers if not then you can download below.

Via drivers here: http://www.viaarena.com/Driver/via_windows_falcon_ide_v270a.zip

Sil3114 here: http://www.flextronics.com/iwill/product_imgs/55/sil3114.zip (Contains a bunch of driver XP one should do)

WHS requires an 80gb disk for the system and data drive, so it may not install to the raptor.

Saturday, April 11, 2009 9:34 AM
  • Thanks for the help and answers folks - sorry it took so long to get back to this but I have been very busy on other projects.  Am happy to have both answers as the accepted answer as they were both helpful.

At this stage I've not tried the drivers Tom recommended above but having downloaded and looked at them the Sil1334 one seems to be OK as it has a txtsetup.oem file but the other one (for the VIA chipset doesn't) which could stilll leave me with a big problem.  Would it be hard to create a txtsetup.oem from scratch if I had to?  (I looked for the original CD that came with the motherboard but can't find it - I might try to see if I can still get it from Abit though).

Anyway, I might have another go this weekend and see if I can get anywhere with it.

A couple of other Q's re WHS - can it host a proper IIS7/.Net website (i.e: available outside my network) on it using Dynamic DNS?  Or would I have to have static IP?

And also will WHS run Exchange Server and allow remote and web access etc - or should I be looking at Windows Server 2008 for these sorts of things?

I'd just like have a server that serves my home network with various media and does backups as well as more traditional server tasks - so not sure what I would be better installing.

Cheers,

Mike
    Friday, May 8, 2009 2:27 AM
  • Thanks for the help and answers folks - sorry it took so long to get back to this but I have been very busy on other projects.  Am happy to have both answers as the accepted answer as they were both helpful.

At this stage I've not tried the drivers Tom recommended above but having downloaded and looked at them the Sil1334 one seems to be OK as it has a txtsetup.oem file but the other one (for the VIA chipset doesn't) which could stilll leave me with a big problem.  Would it be hard to create a txtsetup.oem from scratch if I had to?  (I looked for the original CD that came with the motherboard but can't find it - I might try to see if I can still get it from Abit though).

Anyway, I might have another go this weekend and see if I can get anywhere with it.

A couple of other Q's re WHS - can it host a proper IIS7/.Net website (i.e: available outside my network) on it using Dynamic DNS?  Or would I have to have static IP?

And also will WHS run Exchange Server and allow remote and web access etc - or should I be looking at Windows Server 2008 for these sorts of things?

Installing any app through the server desktop on WHS is unsupported (and could be a violation of the EULA as well).  IIS is used for the Remote Access website already and making any changes to that could break it.  As for Exchange, I believe that would be a violation of the EULA.  You could try it anyway but, to be honest, if you are looking for all of that, you don't want WHS.  You should be looking at 2003/2008 instead.  WHS works best when it's left alone to do its job.

I'd just like have a server that serves my home network with various media and does backups as well as more traditional server tasks - so not sure what I would be better installing.

Cheers,

Mike

Friday, May 8, 2009 1:18 PM