none
Installing Windows for customers without activating it RRS feed

• Question

• It is my understanding that the Windows installation media can be obtained legally for free through Digital River, for example, from here:

http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-58997.iso

If one was to download and install this on a computer without an operating system, they have 30 days to purchase a retail copy of Windows so they can activate it.

My question: if I was to use this to install Windows on a computer, but not activate it, would it be legal to sell that computer?  Of course, I would make the customer aware that they need to activate Windows within 30 days with a separately purchased copy of Windows, or use another operating system.  The idea is that I am installing Windows as a service for evaluation purposes, I am not selling software licenses in any form. 

I know that this is not how software licensing is supposed to work, and yes, I have read the whole EULA and all of the licensing information that I have found on the Internet, but I can't get a clear answer.  Nowhere does it explicitly say that something like this is not allowed.  If it is not, on what grounds would Microsoft make a legal claim against it?  Or in other words, why not?

I would really rather ask Microsoft about this directly, but I can't find a way to do that without registering for the System Builder program- if anyone could tell me how to contact MS about this that would also be helpful.

• Edited by John Max1k Wednesday, January 14, 2015 9:15 AM
    Wednesday, January 14, 2015 9:13 AM

Answers

• It is a violation of Microsoft's software licensing terms to install Microsoft Windows on a PC and then sell it without a genuine Microsoft Windows license.  Microsoft support gets phones calls all the time from irate users who thought they purchased a PC complete with a Windows license and it turns out they did not.

Carey Frisch

Wednesday, January 14, 2015 4:30 PM
  • The Windows License Terms to which you agree during install state that it is a requirement that the installer has a license PRIOR to the install.

There is no such thing as a 'Trial' period - there is only the 'Grace' period which allows the user to delay activation while optimising the system.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Thursday, January 15, 2015 11:07 AM

All replies

• It is a violation of Microsoft's software licensing terms to install Microsoft Windows on a PC and then sell it without a genuine Microsoft Windows license.  Microsoft support gets phones calls all the time from irate users who thought they purchased a PC complete with a Windows license and it turns out they did not.

Carey Frisch

Wednesday, January 14, 2015 4:30 PM
  • The Windows License Terms to which you agree during install state that it is a requirement that the installer has a license PRIOR to the install.

There is no such thing as a 'Trial' period - there is only the 'Grace' period which allows the user to delay activation while optimising the system.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Thursday, January 15, 2015 11:07 AM