none
Splitting stick thread leaves the new thready "sticky" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

If am I splitting a thread which is made "sticky" (someone posted unrelated question - this is the second time I'm splitting this thread), the newly created thread also has "sticky" attribute. I think it should not have it.

Thanks.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 9:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• This could be By Design. I'll check. If so, could you also add this to the Feature Request forum and Wiki?

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Friday, May 11, 2012 8:29 PM
    Owner
  • I don't think it's by design. Most likely this scenario was not considered. I'd say it's a minor bug that needs fixing.

My blog

Friday, May 11, 2012 11:10 PM
  • We'll see. I could see some people arguing that when splitting a sticky thread you would expect both threads resulting to remain sticky. Then it's easy to make one unsticky. Plus what if the system automatically made the wrong one unsticky? That would be even more frustrating. I'll check, or you can email Brent.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Sunday, May 13, 2012 4:25 AM
    Owner
  • Doesn't Brent check this forum?

Usually if the new post was made in a sticky thread that required splitting, it means that this post has nothing to do with the content of that thread. I am positive that the new thread should not be made sticky by default.

My blog

Sunday, May 13, 2012 4:59 AM
  • Doesn't Brent check this forum?

Usually if the new post was made in a sticky thread that required splitting, it means that this post has nothing to do with the content of that thread. I am positive that the new thread should not be made sticky by default.

My blog

Sometimes.

You're assuming the user's intent. So I can easily see people arguing against adding a feature like this.

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 12:16 AM
    Owner
  • Splitting a thread is a moderator's only feature. In a few cases I had to split a sticky thread the new posts were absolutely irrelevant to the thread's content. 

My blog

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 12:53 AM
  • Splitting a thread is a moderator's only feature. In a few cases I had to split a sticky thread the new posts were absolutely irrelevant to the thread's content. 

My blog

Often it makes the most sense to lock sticky threads.

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 10:03 PM
    Owner
  • Did you ping Brent about this or shall I?

Thanks!

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 7:54 PM
    Owner
  • No, I didn't as I recall. Please go ahead.

My blog

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 8:06 PM
  • Done. Please follow up in a few days. Thanks!

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 8:09 PM
    Owner