How to I select updates without causing Live One Care to state computer is at risk (Red button)? RRS feed

• Question

•  Would appreciate the ability to SELECT which updates are applied AND when.  Previous automatic updates have lead to system instability, sudden reboots while I was working on a project, or other devices to suddenly stop working.  I attribute this instability to MS Live One Care downloading updates without regard to impact on my system.

Ideally, ONLY the ANTI-VIRUS and CORE VISTA OS are updated, but I think other changes are occurring as well.  The current program forces you to accept everything or your computer is at risk!  I checked what some of the important updates were--how is Silverlight a crucial update.

While I own MS stock and have many friends that work for Microsoft, I am really getting pi**ed by MS heavy handed approach to updates and might buy my first Apple computer this January. 

• Moved by Stephen BootsMVP, Moderator Tuesday, December 16, 2008 1:46 PM Moved because Tune-up monitors AU status of Windows (Moved from Windows Live OneCare Update to Windows Live OneCare Tune-up)
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 4:55 AM

Answers

• Hello uwhuskies, unfortunately there is no way to have Automatic Updates set to anything other than Automatically Download and Install and have One Care in "Good" status. You should only receive Windows updates on the second tuesday of each month so as a workaround you could turn AU off on the second monday night of each month, then on tuesday manually scan for updates, install only all updates marked critical or important,then hide any other updates you don't want.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live / Windows Live One Care Forum Moderator
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 4:14 PM