Non synced folders keep coming back RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

On all my machines in the mesh, if I chose not to sync a folder to that machine, the next time I boot the folder is back on the desktop waiting for a decision about syncing. Not sure if I am doing something wrong.

Thanks

Chris
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 10:54 PM

Answers

• DoubleGoodbye said:

Ok I have confirmed this behaviour:

1. Create new folder 'sync test' on the live desktop.
    2. On my work machine, tell this new folder to 'never sync with this machine'
    3. Folder disappears.
    4. Reboot
    5. Once Live Mesh starts up, the folder 'sync test' has returned.

At no stage were files added or modified in the folder.

Hi,

Thanks for testing this (more data is always better than less data).  If you wouldn't mind, could you open a new bug through Connect and attach your Live Mesh logs (instructions are in an Announcement at the top of the forums)?  It would be nice to have a separate report (i.e., separate from the earlier customer report linked in my post above) where the folder reappears even if no data has been modified.  We'll let you know of any workarounds once we determine the cause(s) of this issue.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 10:35 PM

All replies

• Do you double click the folder icon and select "Never with this device" or do you right click on the icon and select delete?  I usually just use the right click & delete and they never reappear.
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 11:13 PM
  • I do the 'never sync with this device'
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 11:13 PM
  • Try just deleting the folder icon.  It might be a bug or intentional for some reason.  The wish list is proberbly a good place to mention it though.

The Wish List is located here.

Im sure one of the developers can confirm if its a bug or not once they see this thread.

• Edited by Complete_Prat Tuesday, October 28, 2008 11:27 PM Spelling
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 11:26 PM
  • DoubleGoodbye said:

I do the 'never sync with this device'

Hi,

We're currently investigating this issue from another customer report (feel free to validate that feedback if it sounds like what you're seeing).  Just to clarify the details: 1. When you select 'never sync with this device' does the shortcut for that folder disappear from your computer's desktop (it should)?  2. Does it reappear even if you make no changes to the content of that Live Mesh folder, or only if you edit a file in that folder on another device?

Again, please feel free to validate the bug in the link above.  It might also help if you could send us the Live Mesh logs from that computer (you can email them to lmprev@microsoft.com and mention the Connect Feedback ID of the bug above, or you can file your own bug through Connect and attach your logs to it).  Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Ben.
    • Proposed as answer by Ben [Live Mesh] Wednesday, October 29, 2008 3:47 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Ben [Live Mesh] Wednesday, October 29, 2008 10:35 PM
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 3:47 PM
  • 1. Yes 'never sync' removes it from the desktop.
    2. I believe the folder comes back with every boot of the machine, regardless of new fies being added to the folder. However I can try to create a test to confirm this.
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 10:14 PM
  • Ok I have confirmed this behaviour:

3. Folder disappears.
    4. Reboot

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 10:25 PM
  • DoubleGoodbye said:

Ok I have confirmed this behaviour:

3. Folder disappears.
    4. Reboot

Hi,

Thanks for testing this (more data is always better than less data).  If you wouldn't mind, could you open a new bug through Connect and attach your Live Mesh logs (instructions are in an Announcement at the top of the forums)?  It would be nice to have a separate report (i.e., separate from the earlier customer report linked in my post above) where the folder reappears even if no data has been modified.  We'll let you know of any workarounds once we determine the cause(s) of this issue.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 10:35 PM
  • Bug submitted.
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 11:46 PM
  • I'm the one who reported this problem earlier. My workaround, as some others here have suggested, was deleting the folder shortcuts directly.
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 9:23 PM