What 'user/pw' is doing the backup when nobody is logged on? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've set up OneCare Backup 2.0 on a small home LAN with a NAS for central storage / backup, that requires username/password to access the disk.

When the back-up runs and somebody is logged on to the computer where the back-up runs, everything works fine, because back-up uses the rights of the user that is logged on.

But when nobody is logged on, backup fails, because the NAS does not recognize the 'user' that is doing the backup.

So my question: which user / password combination is being used by onecare, when a scheduled backup runs when nobody is logged on to the system?

Thanks in advance

jan

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 9:06 PM

Answers

• Backup uses the current logged on User, so if nobody is logged onto the system and the NAS requires authentication, backup will fail to access the NAS.

-steve

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 2:44 AM

All replies

• I have the same problem. maybe some useage of the "net use" command would do it.
    Tuesday, December 4, 2007 10:23 PM
  •  

yes, that's correct, but i need to know for sure that backup uses, for instance, the administrator user at that time, and if administrator is with a capital A or not, because the NAS is case sensitive for user and pw.

Jan

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 12:22 AM
  • Backup uses the current logged on User, so if nobody is logged onto the system and the NAS requires authentication, backup will fail to access the NAS.

-steve

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 2:44 AM
  • What if two users are still logged on? 

Does version two solve this problem?

What other functions of OneCare require a user to be signed on?

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 6:12 AM
  • I don't know the answers to any of these questions, but I'll speculate

- If two users are logged on, and OneCare runs under one users' login, that user will be the one that needs to have rights to the Share. OneCare won't be running Backup under two users' logins simultaneously, but I don't know what it does when it encounters this.

I don't think there is any change to this in 2.0.

I'm not aware of any other functions that would run without a user logged in except a tune-up, including a backup. The protection services run at the system level.

-steve

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 6:29 PM
  • Stephen,

Thanks for the feedback, although it is not quite the answer i would like, at least I can stop searching :-)

Jan

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 7:46 PM