Whs 2011 server reinstall on ssd RRS feed

• Question

• Can I reinstall my WHS 2011 server in an Intel 330 ssd 180GB?

My current boot drive is WD 1tb blue, but I need to use it elsewhere.

What is the quickest way of doing it?

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 6:21 AM

Answers

• Restore your server on to your SSD from a server backup - then there is no need to reconfigure. Best to move any shared folders from any data (D:) on your WD 1TB to one of your other storage drives first and shrink D: so that it will fit on the SSD with C: during the restore.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Edited by Phil Harrison Wednesday, September 19, 2012 7:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by Pettakos Saturday, September 22, 2012 4:50 PM
    Wednesday, September 19, 2012 7:37 PM

All replies

• If I were doing it, I'd use an image backup program i.e. Acronis True Image to make an image of the WD, then restore that image to the SSD and tweak settings (for an SSD).

But I'm not certain an SSD is appropriate-or-recommended for use in a server system, which is constantly "in use" 24/7.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 11:31 AM
  • Restore your server on to your SSD from a server backup - then there is no need to reconfigure. Best to move any shared folders from any data (D:) on your WD 1TB to one of your other storage drives first and shrink D: so that it will fit on the SSD with C: during the restore.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Edited by Phil Harrison Wednesday, September 19, 2012 7:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by Pettakos Saturday, September 22, 2012 4:50 PM
    Wednesday, September 19, 2012 7:37 PM
  • Thanks, I'll give it a try and see what it looks like.
    Saturday, September 22, 2012 4:51 PM
  • I just went through this very same process. I had been using a 2Tb green drive as the boot drive plus data, and decided to migrate to a dedicated Kingston 240Gb SSD. 

I assumed I could restore just the system and bood partitions (skipping the much larger data partition).  However, no matter how I configured it, the restore wizard complained that target drive was too small, and I could not find a way to do what really should be pretty simple.

It's possible this was user error, and I failed to follow the right procedure, but it sure seemed like a bug or undocumented limitation to me.  I ended up having to reimage from scratch.

It would be good if you could report back if you have success doing it the way that Phil recommends.

• Edited by Gary Voth Monday, September 24, 2012 6:08 AM
    Sunday, September 23, 2012 11:31 PM