What about the "DE"-folders on the data-drive? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi

On my data-drive (D) there are different DE-folders:

DE (hidden)

DEAnka (Anka is the name of a folder in one of my photo-share, not hidden)

DEKatzen (same as Anka, not hidden)

I know that the Drive Extender uses this folders. But DEAnka and DEKatzen are empty, the DE is 26 MB.

Doesn't Drive Extender delete folders it don't need any longer?

Can I delete the empty folders manually?

Thanks for help in advance!

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 5:46 PM

Answers

•  jeutix wrote:

Hi

DE (hidden)

I know that the Drive Extender uses this folders. But DEAnka and DEKatzen are empty, the DE is 26 MB.

As I recall, this is a known bug (hopefully fixed in RTM).  Yes, you can delete DEAnka and DEKatzen once they are empty (I delete those empty folders all the time).  That occurs when you move data around from folder to folder within a share (it temporarily stores the file there until the whole migration process is complete).

As for the DE folder, no, do not delete that one.  That is where the actual files get stored once the whole migration process is complete.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 10:18 PM

All replies

• Off the top of my head I cant think of the answer, but what I would say is that you shouldn't delete any folders from your WHS manually - just in case :-)

Andrew

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 8:00 PM
  • Hi,

I agree with Andrew, normally not good idea to delete any folder that the OS make, even if empty one. Sometimes the OS will write that folder for internal temp. opertaional and like.

My best.
    Wednesday, September 19, 2007 8:55 PM
  •  jeutix wrote:

Hi

DE (hidden)

As I recall, this is a known bug (hopefully fixed in RTM).  Yes, you can delete DEAnka and DEKatzen once they are empty (I delete those empty folders all the time).  That occurs when you move data around from folder to folder within a share (it temporarily stores the file there until the whole migration process is complete).

As for the DE folder, no, do not delete that one.  That is where the actual files get stored once the whole migration process is complete.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 10:18 PM
  • Hi folks,

This is a known bug we have been trying unsuccessfully to reproduce for the past couple of months. If anyone has specific repeatable repro steps after which these directories are created, please reply to this thread.

Thanks,

Mark

Thursday, September 20, 2007 12:02 AM
  • I have similar folders on my D:/ drive, comparing the creation dates by desktop search I can identify the folder that was created when these empty folders were left behind, but I don't know why.

Thursday, September 20, 2007 3:58 AM
  •  kariya21 wrote:
    That occurs when you move data around from folder to folder within a share (it temporarily stores the file there until the whole migration process is complete).

Yes, that's what I've made. Moved data within the shares.

Thank you very much!
    Friday, September 21, 2007 10:35 AM
  •  Mark Vayman wrote:

Hi folks,

This is a known bug we have been trying unsuccessfully to reproduce for the past couple of months

I moved different folders/files within the shared folders, but only this two are still there.
    Friday, September 21, 2007 10:53 AM
  • I'm running WHS OEM on my machine. I uploaded several picture folders(22) to the shared picture folder at first. A few days later I reorganized and created a new subfolder in pictures and moved those picture folders into this new subfolder. Now on my "D:/" partition I have a folder called \DEictures which contains one of the original 22 folders, however that folder is empty.

I've also be uploading ripped DVD's and on the "D:/" partition I also have a \DEi Code folder and a \DEcifier, each of which contain an empty /VIDEO_TS folder.

I also have empty folders under \DE\shares\photos and \DE\shares\videos. What I also don't understand is why under \DE\shares\videos I have around 24 folders that contain all or part of a ripped DVD, that are also in the video shares folder. My primary drive is 160GB, and I have 2 400GB & 1 1TB drive installed (all SATA). Now I currently have less than 30GB free space on "D:/"...

The video shares is duplicated....I don't feel like re-ripping over 120+ videos...

Thursday, November 22, 2007 6:25 PM
  •  Nanuuk wrote:
    I'm running WHS OEM on my machine. I uploaded several picture folders(22) to the shared picture folder at first. A few days later I reorganized and created a new subfolder in pictures and moved those picture folders into this new subfolder. Now on my "D:/" partition I have a folder called \DEictures which contains one of the original 22 folders, however that folder is empty.

Yep, it does that sometimes when you move files around.  It doesn't hurt anything to leave them there, but if you want to delete them, it's ok (just make sure they are empty first).

Nanuuk wrote:
    I've also be uploading ripped DVD's and on the "D:/" partition I also have a \DEi Code folder and a \DEcifier, each of which contain an empty /VIDEO_TS folder.

Same as above.  At some point, you moved the files from one location to another.

Nanuuk wrote:
    I also have empty folders under \DE\shares\photos and \DE\shares\videos.

Yep, those folders will always be there (again, you moved data from one location to another at one point).

Nanuuk wrote:
    What I also don't understand is why under \DE\shares\videos I have around 24 folders that contain all or part of a ripped DVD, that are also in the video shares folder.

Those are the actual files.  That's how Migrator works (it takes the file you move to the network share and places it in a hidden DE folder on one of the secondary drives).

Nanuuk wrote:
    My primary drive is 160GB, and I have 2 400GB & 1 1TB drive installed (all SATA). Now I currently have less than 30GB free space on "D:/"...

The video shares is duplicated....I don't feel like re-ripping over 120+ videos...

How did you copy the files to the server (through the network share or to D:\shares)?

Thursday, November 22, 2007 6:38 PM
  • kariya21, thanks for the post....not sure I agree on all your points....

1) Markers left after files or folders are moved around in shares will quickly consume the available space on "D:\", somehow there has to be some cleanup of the old markers.

2) As for the empty folders under \DE\shares\videos, videos we uploaded specifically to the Videos share folder, not moved around anywhere else. That folder also includes video folder with either the full ripped dvd or some partial of a ripped dvd.

3) The "D:\" partition is not the share itself, eventually files copied to the share should be moved off of D: and to the actual share. In the video share I have 83 folders and in \DE\shares\videos 28 of those same folder are there...some empty some not.

4) I copy files directly to the share folder. In the photo shares I have rearranged files and folders after uploading.

Saturday, November 24, 2007 2:17 AM
  •  Nanuuk wrote:
    kariya21, thanks for the post....not sure I agree on all your points....

1) Markers left after files or folders are moved around in shares will quickly consume the available space on "D:\", somehow there has to be some cleanup of the old markers.

No, they won't.  They take virtually no space.  You can have thousands of empty folders without any problems (although it does look messy).

Nanuuk wrote:
    2) As for the empty folders under \DE\shares\videos, videos we uploaded specifically to the Videos share folder, not moved around anywhere else. That folder also includes video folder with either the full ripped dvd or some partial of a ripped dvd.

And you never moved them from the original location on the server to anywhere else (even if in the same share)?  I've never seen that before.  If you had them originally in, say, \\[servername]\videos\temp, then moved them to \\[servername]\videos\movies, the temp folder will still be there inside the DE folder (although you don't see it in the network shares).

Nanuuk wrote:
    3) The "D:\" partition is not the share itself, eventually files copied to the share should be moved off of D: and to the actual share. In the video share I have 83 folders and in \DE\shares\videos 28 of those same folder are there...some empty some not.

Correct.  \\[servername]\videos will show you all of the data (actually, it shows you reparse points) you have stored on the server (in your case, 83 folders).  DE\shares\videos will only show you the actual data stored on that physical hard drive (either D partition or a volume mount point).  As for the empty folders, the only other possibility I can think of if you didn't move the data is Migrator did.

Nanuuk wrote:
    4) I copy files directly to the share folder. In the photo shares I have rearranged files and folders after uploading.

Saturday, November 24, 2007 5:41 AM
  • kariya21,

I did some checking and I think I've found the problem. My two 400GB "secondary" drives are 97% full, according to Disk Manager, and the 1TB drive is 27% full...so I'm guessing the files under D:\DE\shares\videos are actually files that are dups...considering I'm currently backing up 5 machines.....this doesn't seem unreasonable....but it still leaves me with only 22% available on D:

So, I'll be pulling the two 400GB drives  and 160GB drive and using one of the 400GB as my new primary, and installing a new 1TB drive in the secondary "pool".  We'll see how that goes....

Thursday, November 29, 2007 4:06 AM
  •  Mark Vayman wrote:

Hi folks,

This is a known bug we have been trying unsuccessfully to reproduce for the past couple of months. If anyone has specific repeatable repro steps after which these directories are created, please reply to this thread.

Thanks,

Mark

I think I know how to reproduce this, at least I have managed to myself.

1. Create a folder in the top level of a share. The folder name must be 7 characters or longer.
    2. Create a text file in the same share, also in the top level.
    3. MOVE it to the folder in 1, and you get a folder with the name DExxxx, where xxxx are characters after the 6th character in the folder name to which you moved the file.

There are probably other ways to reproduce this, but at least this method is a start.

I even manged to get some empty folders under C:\fs\<drive>\de when moving files about from a client computer and there shouldn't be anything there except folders and shares, should there?

Please note that all file operations were done through the shares, and behaviour was only observed from d:\fs\<drive>.

Janne Hv

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 2:04 AM

• I too have several of these DExxxx folders which were created when I moved folders within shares.

They are empty but I am unable to delete them. I get an access denied message.

Right clicking and selecting properties reveals a shaded tick in the "Read only" box. Even if I remove this arrow and apply changes I am still denied access.

How do I delete these folders please?
    Saturday, February 9, 2008 9:54 AM
  • @Janne, what Mark must be referring to being unable to reproduce is the fact that the folders aren't being deleted.  The DExxxxx folders are a normal part of DE operation.  What is abnormal is the fact they aren't going away.

@Matt I belive you have likely found the core issue here, but without specific steps to reproduce it may not be much help.

What I surmise is going on is some WHS process, due to a bug, still has locks on the folders and didn't release them.  They probably do the lock for safety reasons so that when they are moving files around like this no other process (like the user driving Explorer.exe) can blow them away or otherwise alter them.  The WHS code which then tried to delete these files failed to do so, as the locks were still there.  This reeks of a race condition bug, and sometimes those aren't easy to find becuase they aren't easy to reproduce.

If I am correct, rebooting the server should allow you to delete these folders.  If I'm not, I believe you may have found a completely different bug...congratulations! ;-)

Ryan

Saturday, February 9, 2008 1:34 PM
  • fwiw the bug I reported (271943) on 02/05/2007 regarding these DE folders has just had it's status changed to "Resolved (fixed)". I'm not sure when/if we will see the benefits ...
    Saturday, February 9, 2008 2:56 PM