I wish to determine the validity of an unexpected request for a product update. RRS feed

• Question

• I've been using MS Money for years and am currently running Money 2005. Today when run it opened a window saying that some aspect had expired and an update was required.

I also have an Icon on my taskbar saying that Updates are available, which reveals 11 Important updates plus 4 optional ones are ready for install. (Since last updates - yesterday)

I run Kaspersky AV 2009 with up to date database as of today.

How can I tell if this is a genuine MS update request or has come via some trojan?? It feels a bit odd.

Thursday, February 10, 2011 10:27 PM

All replies

• That taskbar thing would not have been from Money; it is probably just a cooincidence. Tuesday was the monthly update day (second Tuesday of the month), and there are indeed several windows updates.

If it makes you feel better, in IE8 you could do Tools->WindowsUpdate to trigger the updates.

Regarding the Money thing, it is probably legitimate, but you may not want to click it anyway. What version of Money are you using?

On my Money Plus (USA, non-sunset) I got "Your provider has updated their service offerings.
    Click here to update your Online services." and did not click on it.

Friday, February 11, 2011 12:18 AM
  • Thanks for the reassurance.

Vista went ahead and installed the system updates anyway, as I have these set to autorun.

I also got a raft of updates for Win 7 which installed too.

I colleague who runs Money 2005, tells me he got the same reminder window.

Although I didn't run it, the reminder has not recurred with subsequent running of the program.

Friday, February 11, 2011 8:22 PM