Microsoft SQL Server training

Question

• Hello

I am new here and I am thinking to learn the SQL server training. How difficult is that ? How <g class="gr_ gr_140 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_run_anim Grammar multiReplace" data-gr-id="140" id="140">this will</g> benefit my job ?

Thank you in advance 

Monday, November 21, 2016 12:16 PM

Answers

• Without some experience working with SQL Server, it will be nearly impossible to pass SQL exams. If you don't have a job that exposes you to a little bit of SQL or have access to a SQL Server machine to experiment with, you will probably need to start by installing SQL Express or on your computer so you can start getting your hands dirty. Download and install some of the sample databases (AdventureWorks) from codeplex and play around with it to start building your confidence using the product.

Read all the MSDN/TechNet articles you can find about subjects outlined in the course details of exam page you're interested in taking first.

Buy yourself a good training book like this one and work all the practice examples:
    https://www.microsoftpressstore.com/store/training-kit-exam-70-461-querying-microsoft-sql-server-9780735666054

Buy a practice exam from MeasureUp or SelfTestSoftware and take the exams, read exam study material, and keep retaking the practice exam until you're acing it consistently. Don't just memorize exam answers, but master the underlying concepts in the questions.

Get a Quizlet account and build flash card sets to grill yourself on difficult topics or ones you have trouble grasping.

When you schedule your exam, get the 'Exam Replay' option so can retake the exam if you fail it the first time, which you probably will if you're a newby.

Don't get discouraged if you fail. Keep plugging away and discipline yourself to study, if this is what you really want to do. I've failed my share of cert exams and I was hard headed enough I just kept picking myself back up and driving on until I succeeded.

Being a SQL DBA or developer can be very rewarding, both in job satisfaction and pay. It's a very in-demand skill in certain markets and you will always have work, if you're good at it.

Good Luck,

Phil Streiff, MCDBA, MCITP, MCSA

Sunday, December 11, 2016 2:54 PM