Restore Fail - External HDD no longer available RRS feed

• General discussion

• 8 sets of backups 420gb over the last year are no longer usable. This, after tech support reinstalled the PIX engine and cleared all the status information. Tech Supt said the files were corrupted. Each and every one of those files is readable from windows  explorer with no problems at all. The real problem TS isn't talking about is that OneCare1.0 Backup files aren't upward compatable with OneCare2.0 Restore. When I asked Tech Supt about this, their answer was to generate a Backup and Restore it to prove it worked. That was simply a dodge around the real problem - 1.0Backup/2.0Restore incompatability.  OneCare2.0 auto installed itself last month with no warnings or work arounds AND the 1.0 version is no longer available to handle 1.0 Restores. I thought upward compatability was a Law at Microsoft. Guess I was wrong. Moving to Norton360...Regards OneCare...
    Sunday, March 9, 2008 7:02 PM

All replies

• OneCare backups made with 1.0, 1.1, 1.5, and 1.6 can be restored with OneCare 2.0

What, specifically, was the problem you encountered in trying to restore these backups? If they were older backups performed before a reinstall of OneCare or a new full backup was created, you would need to use the option to restore from another computer.

One exception to this would be that in 1.x, if you backed up to a network share that happened to be a USB drive attached to another PC, you could not restore from that backup unless it was still a network share. In other words, you could not restore by connecting that drive directly to a PC with OneCare and restore from it. The backups were not transportable in that they had to reside on the same media type for restore as when they were created.

-steve

Monday, March 10, 2008 1:50 AM