HP Media Smart server drive bays not detecting drives RRS feed

• Question

• My father in law bought two 2TB drives to add to his Media Smart server, but they aren't detected in drive bays 3 and 4. If I remove the 1tb he has in bay 2 and replace it with one of the 2tb, it works normally (boots up with a purple light that turns blue once it's added to the storage pool). Before calling HP and dealing with their support (the unit is obviously out of warranty at this point), I was wondering if anyone here had encountered this issue. 

I don't see any BIOS updates or anything like that on HP's site, and I don't want to mess with hacking the BIOS before calling the support line. I suppose I could re-install the server, but the server reinstallation disc doesn't seem to work on my 64bit Win7 laptop, and this really seems like more of a hardware issue than a software issue. 

Any ideas? Or should I just man up and call HP?

Saturday, December 31, 2011 4:17 PM

All replies

• Probably a defective backplane. Whether it shipped from the factory that way or not is a moot point, since (as you observe) it's long out of warranty now. I don't know if HP will be able to help you even for a fee; they discontinued their MediaSmart server line some time ago.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, December 31, 2011 11:46 PM
  • Eventually the backplane is broken, as Ken stated. Did you replace the disks while the system was powered on?

Since hotswapping is not supported, this could electrically damage the hardware.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Sunday, January 1, 2012 10:52 AM
  • Thanks for the responses. I did end up calling HP, and they said it's probably a hardware issue, but wouldn't commit as I hadn't done a server restore yet. They don't sell the backplanes, and couldn't even give me what such a thing would cost. I Googled around a bit and found a couple of retailers that [i]used[/i] to sell them, but don't anymore. I sent each an email anyway to see what it would cost. 

Olaf, I didn't install the drives when the server was powered on. Honestly, I barely trust it when hotswap [i]is[/i] supported, so I'm careful not to do such things. Especially on someone else's hardware. 

I'd like to do a server restore next, but the sill disc simply won't work in any PC I've tried it on. Further, it requires a 32 bit OS and almost everything in my house is 64, excepting my own WHS box. I'm going to try to clean the recovery disc and see if I can at least copy the data off it. That way I could put the two 2tb drives in and get WHS installed on that, which should take care of the father-in-law for the next couple year or so. 

Sunday, January 1, 2012 6:02 PM
  • For the 32 Bit stuff you could use a virtual machine with Windows XP.

Just another question - are smaller disks detected in the problematic trays? (Eventually it could be an compatibility or timing issue with the 2 TB disks).

If its really the hardware, which is broken, you could eventually get spareparts cheaper by buying another used identical MediaSmart.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Sunday, January 1, 2012 7:56 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestions! And no, unfortunately smaller disks aren't detected in the problematic bays either. Which is what started me down the path of a hardware issue in the first place. 

I've been looking around for a used MediaSmart server, but they all seem to be holding value pretty well. The father in law is willing to spend some money on fixing it, but at the prices I'm seeing he'd be better off buying a new server all together.

Monday, January 2, 2012 2:17 PM