(re) Installation failed - Error Code 0x8007048f RRS feed

• Question

• Upgrading from trial version of WHS I get a "The drive is not connected (0x8007048f)" error. I have done the following:
    • used another DVD drive for the reinstallation
    • returned to original RAM configuration (I had added more RAM after installing teh trial version)
    I had added a SATA Raid card with 2 1.5 TB Sata drives to the pool during the trial version. When I add the driver for this card during reinstallation the drives show up properly before I start the reinstall but the installation fails (with teh above code) and the 2 sata drives are not connected (and RAID controller card driver is not installed).

I am thinking that if I install the driver once the installation has failed and restart that the install will proceed properly (my assumption being the device not connected error refers to the sata hard drives).  I am worried though that doing this may result in the drives being formatted and losing the 750GB of data on them.

Is it reasonable to assume that the drives won't be formatted since it is a reinstallation? Any other ideas?
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 2:18 PM

Answers

• Success.

The Installation failed near the end at a step called c:windows/system32/cscript.exe

After failure the I was able to install the drivers for the 4 port Sata Raid card I had installed - this made the 2 drives attached visible and the files accessible. I then restarted the computer (with the install disk in the DVD drive and the installation completed successfully.

Hope this helps someone else.
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 4:38 PM

All replies

• Upgrading from trial version of WHS I get a "The drive is not connected (0x8007048f)" error. I have done the following:
    • returned to original RAM configuration (I had added more RAM after installing teh trial version)
    I had added a SATA Raid card with 2 1.5 TB Sata drives to the pool during the trial version. When I add the driver for this card during reinstallation the drives show up properly before I start the reinstall but the installation fails (with teh above code) and the 2 sata drives are not connected (and RAID controller card driver is not installed).

I am thinking that if I install the driver once the installation has failed and restart that the install will proceed properly (my assumption being the device not connected error refers to the sata hard drives).  I am worried though that doing this may result in the drives being formatted and losing the 750GB of data on them.

Is it reasonable to assume that the drives won't be formatted since it is a reinstallation?

As long as you select Server Reinstallation each time you try, yes.

Any other ideas?
    At what point are you getting that error?  Is it during the first GUI portion of the install or is after the first reboot (during the text portion)?
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 4:36 PM
  • Success.

The Installation failed near the end at a step called c:windows/system32/cscript.exe

After failure the I was able to install the drivers for the 4 port Sata Raid card I had installed - this made the 2 drives attached visible and the files accessible. I then restarted the computer (with the install disk in the DVD drive and the installation completed successfully.

Hope this helps someone else.
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 4:38 PM
  • Yes got the same problem same optic then you, I bought a OEM Window Home Server DVD and parts to make my old motherboard a server but it was not good enough for what I wanted, too much problems and bugs and only IDE or SATA but not both, but I think probems was comming from Drive enclosures My Bood of WD 500 Mb and 1TB version both same problems on eStata or USB although eSata was an Generic add on Card. It might has been the problems.

My two error during the intallation was the SMB Bus of ATI and the Nic Network Card also.

Both was resolved with login directly on the server itself and device manager and clic update drivers for the nic and smb bus as the windows server was not intalled yet for me.

I was able to download all the rest of the update also as having updated the NIC and found on my CD that was now available the correct drivers during the installation.

The only error I am getting now is when I try the Windows Home server toolkit ver 1.1 >Server Storage diagnostic>Start>View Logs :

ChkDe Version - 6.0.1639.0

D:\shares\Photos

QSM Share Permissions:

SERVER\ChristineLemieux : FULL

SERVER\Narius : FULL

SERVER\Guest : FULL

SERVER\Michel Derome : FULL

SERVER\MyriamDerome : FULL

Permissions:

SERVER\RO_3:A:LSTDIR REA FTRV RA RCTRL

SERVER\RO_3:A:0xa0000000

SERVER\RW_3:A:FC

SERVER\RW_3:A:0x10000000

BUILTIN\Administrators:A:FC

BUILTIN\Administrators:A:0x10000000

NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:A:FC

NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:A:0x10000000

\CREATOR OWNER:A:0x10000000

NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE:A:LSTDIR REA RA RCTRL

NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE:A:0x80000000

D:\shares\Photos\120-2046_IMG.JPG

Attributes: A

CT :2009\04\10 06:24:09:109

LAT:2009\04\11 18:10:37:093

LWT:2006\06\10 23:47:54:000

File size: 50905 bytes

Permissions:

SERVER\RO_3:A:RD REA EX RA RCTRL

NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE:A:RD REA RA RCTRL

Shadow No.1:

Volume ID: 63f9e274-2774-4cae-bcaf-f491b6d2517d

File ID:  8a5b0000108088dd9010

Could not open shadow with error 0xC0000043

D:\shares\Photos\120-2048_IMG.JPG

CT :2009\04\10 06:24:09:125

LWT:2006\06\10 23:48:02:000

File size: 53128 bytes

Permissions:

Shadow No.1:

File ID:  8b5b0000108088dd9010

As you could see on the D Data that follow my C drive the diagnostic won't work propely for that case; but it seem only the only error I am getting on my Board ASUS P5QL-EM Motherboard.

• Edited by RMSClerk Sunday, April 12, 2009 6:25 PM missing info.
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 6:20 PM
  • Yes got the same problem same optic then you, I bought a OEM Window Home Server DVD and parts to make my old motherboard a server but it was not good enough for what I wanted, too much problems and bugs and only IDE or SATA but not both, but I think probems was comming from Drive enclosures My Bood of WD 500 Mb and 1TB version both same problems on eStata or USB although eSata was an Generic add on Card. It might has been the problems.

My two error during the intallation was the SMB Bus of ATI and the Nic Network Card also.

Both was resolved with login directly on the server itself and device manager and clic update drivers for the nic and smb bus as the windows server was not intalled yet for me.

I was able to download all the rest of the update also as having updated the NIC and found on my CD that was now available the correct drivers during the installation.

The only error I am getting now is when I try the Windows Home server toolkit ver 1.1 >Server Storage diagnostic>Start>View Logs :

ChkDe Version - 6.0.1639.0

D:\shares\Photos

QSM Share Permissions:

SERVER\ChristineLemieux : FULL

SERVER\Narius : FULL

SERVER\Guest : FULL

SERVER\Michel Derome : FULL

SERVER\MyriamDerome : FULL

Permissions:

SERVER\RO_3:A:LSTDIR REA FTRV RA RCTRL

SERVER\RO_3:A:0xa0000000

SERVER\RW_3:A:0x10000000

BUILTIN\Administrators:A:0x10000000

NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:A:0x10000000

\CREATOR OWNER:A:0x10000000

NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE:A:LSTDIR REA RA RCTRL

NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE:A:0x80000000

D:\shares\Photos\120-2046_IMG.JPG

CT :2009\04\10 06:24:09:109

LWT:2006\06\10 23:47:54:000

File size: 50905 bytes

Permissions:

Shadow No.1:

File ID:  8a5b0000108088dd9010

D:\shares\Photos\120-2048_IMG.JPG

CT :2009\04\10 06:24:09:125

LWT:2006\06\10 23:48:02:000

File size: 53128 bytes

Permissions:

Shadow No.1:

File ID:  8b5b0000108088dd9010

As you could see on the D Data that follow my C drive the diagnostic won't work propely for that case; but it seem only the only error I am getting on my Board ASUS P5QL-EM Motherboard.

That is not Toolkit v1.1.  That is 1.0.  Those errors are normal when using the old Toolkit because DE was altered with PP1, but the old Toolkit isn't aware of the changes.
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 6:31 PM
  • This is the tool kit I have downloaded on Microsfot web site and it said 1.1 where I could find the 1.1? or how to install it please and thank you.
    Monday, April 13, 2009 9:52 PM
  • This is the tool kit I have downloaded on Microsfot web site and it said 1.1 where I could find the 1.1? or how to install it please and thank you.
    The toolkit can be downloaded from here.  However, you need to uninstall the old one through the Console first (and delete toolkit.msi from the add-ins folder on your server).  Once you do that, follow the toolkit instructions shown here.
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 5:16 AM
    The toolkit can be downloaded from here.  However, you need to uninstall the old one through the Console first (and delete toolkit.msi from the add-ins folder on your server).  Once you do that, follow the toolkit instructions shown here.

Hi did that and found once on remote desktop I had to publish it to Windows Home Server? Anyway now it is working as I did that step alreay as like any other add-on so I fond like I said an extra  step with that Toolkit v 1.1 in the start program to publish from the menu, now it is working and instaled correctlly.

Thank you for the help anyway as you did pointed out to in the right direction with that check disk that is not part anymore of the new version.
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 2:12 AM

Is it reasonable to assume that the drives won't be formatted since it is a reinstallation? Any other ideas?

I received this same error code when pairing my EnV Touch and Sony Vaio.  The laptop is new (and this is my first time with bluetooth on my laptop) so I'm not sure how to fix this problem.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Friday, April 30, 2010 1:51 AM
  • I received this same error code when pairing my EnV Touch and Sony Vaio.  The laptop is new (and this is my first time with bluetooth on my laptop) so I'm not sure how to fix this problem.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Ask in a forum for your phone or laptop. This forum is for Windows Home Server issues.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, April 30, 2010 3:50 AM