MS CRM 2011 ONLINE - Email to 1:N relation RRS feed

• Question

• I have a relationship which is 1:N. A form(entity) where are listed some contacts.

Now I want to make a workflow which sends email to all those contacts which are related to the entity. Because of the relationship that can't be done.

Is it possible to send email via workflow to all those related contacts somehow? Maybe manual N:N relation is the answer?

Thursday, August 1, 2013 6:50 AM

Answers

• How are you planning to trigger the workflow? If it is an on-demand workflow you're after, then you can create the workflow to run on your related entity, and then from your parent entity, select all related records from the 1:N relationship and select 'Run Workflow' which will trigger the workflow on all related records. Inside the workflow you can access fields from the parent through the lookup.

If you want to trigger the workflow based on a field change on the parent, then you could potentially create a workflow to run on create of the related entity, and use a wait condition to wait until the parent is updated to the correct value; then continue to send your email. Of course this approach would mean the workflow can only even run once on each record, and if the parent is never updated the workflow could be waiting forever.

Hope that helps

Paul

If my response helped you find your answer please show your thanks by taking the time to "Mark As Answer" and "Vote As Helpful".

Twitter LinkedIn Facebook Blog Magnetism

• Marked as answer by crm-user-crm Thursday, August 1, 2013 8:10 AM
    Thursday, August 1, 2013 7:51 AM

All replies

• How are you planning to trigger the workflow? If it is an on-demand workflow you're after, then you can create the workflow to run on your related entity, and then from your parent entity, select all related records from the 1:N relationship and select 'Run Workflow' which will trigger the workflow on all related records. Inside the workflow you can access fields from the parent through the lookup.

If you want to trigger the workflow based on a field change on the parent, then you could potentially create a workflow to run on create of the related entity, and use a wait condition to wait until the parent is updated to the correct value; then continue to send your email. Of course this approach would mean the workflow can only even run once on each record, and if the parent is never updated the workflow could be waiting forever.

Hope that helps

Paul

If my response helped you find your answer please show your thanks by taking the time to "Mark As Answer" and "Vote As Helpful".

• Marked as answer by crm-user-crm Thursday, August 1, 2013 8:10 AM
    Thursday, August 1, 2013 7:51 AM

Hope that helps

Paul

The trigger is when user saves the form and option set has defined to "send email". If the option set has defined to "send email", then the workflow sends email to defined recepients. After that workflow sets the option set value to "don't send email".

But I think that you solved my problem.

Thursday, August 1, 2013 8:10 AM