Integration with website and data management RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am planning a new website that is supposed to be connected to our CRM 2013 and I have some concerns when it comes to data management.

I would like to connect user profiles created on our website to Contacts in CRM - so new account on the website=new contact in CRM. This looks quite logical to me since the parties (distributors) who create accounts on our website are interested in providing us the right data and we do not have a built database for them yet.

Those distributors also supply us information about their customers which are end users of products that we manufacture. We need to keep track on when and where a product was installed, so right now we ask our distributors to fill out paper documentation which we later input to the system.

Outsourcing this action to the website causes the most problems from my perspective:

1) If we allow to create end user accounts on website then this will cause a lot of duplicates because we cannot grant access to our database of end users.

2) We would like to have always up to date data so if we receive data that is not same to our current data, should we allow the CRM to make changes automatically? This may mess up our current database.

Do you know how such cases are being handled? I am sure that we are not alone... :)

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Pawel

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 11:02 AM

All replies

• I would suggest you should work with leads http://crmbook.powerobjects.com/basics/microsoft-dynamics-crm-sales-process/leads/

gruss Daniel Ovadia MBSS - Microsoft Dynamics CRM MCNPS

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 11:21 AM
  • The best approach I've seen is to have someone explicitly responsible for data management and cleanup. Run the duplicate check report on Contacts daily or weekly and have them do merges between website-generated Contacts and CRM User-generated Contacts. Then you get the best of both worlds. Plus, the need to keep cleaning data should reduce over time as more of your customers create accounts on your site.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

• Proposed as answer by Wayne Walton Wednesday, October 22, 2014 4:04 PM
    Wednesday, October 22, 2014 4:04 PM
  • Hi

You are definitely not alone on this.  Fortunately Microsoft have given us a great SDK for this type of development.  Be sure to use the SDK when writing data to the DB.  The SDK use the CRM web services to communicate to the database.  This ensure that data does not get corrupt. 

The update to CRM also does not necessary have to be triggered directly from the new website.  You cold have a folder where records from your new website is stored in an XML file.  CRM can then read the XML file(s) and create/update records accordingly.  

Christo Vermeulen

Thursday, October 23, 2014 1:57 PM