*.homeserver.com domain pointing to internal ip. whs2011 RRS feed

• Question

• I have both ports appropriately forwarded and allowed through the firewall. 

I am using ClearOS as my router/firewall and I believe that is the problem but I can not figure out what else to try. 

I have my whs 2011 on a static ip internally. It is port forwarded (80/443) and allowed through the firewall (clearos). I have a dynamic external ip. When I ping my whs domain from an external connection I get the internal ip.  

Is there a way to manually set the ip for my domain?

Monday, September 19, 2011 4:35 PM

All replies

• Hmm. there have been a couple of other reports of this happening. I can't recreate the issue, so I suspect you're right and it's something odd about your router. In general, we can tell you how to configure it, but we can't (obviously) give extensive support for every open source router/OS project known to man.

That generic advice is:

• Verify the external IP address of your router.
    • Verify that at least port 443 is forwarded from your router to your server. Port 80 is a "nice to have" but not essential.
    • Make sure that you don't have a firewall, security device, device or software (lots of VPN software installs a firewall as well, for instance) that's blocking communication somehow.
    • Test (on site) using e.g. Shields Up! by GRC Research, to see what's reported for the port(s) in question.
    • Test (from off site) using your router's external IP address.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, September 19, 2011 5:42 PM
  • Thanks! 

I was using a no-ip domain name before and everything works with it (443 and 80) but when I try the homeserver domain it does not work (It is registered as the internal ip not the external) 

I understand that you won't/shouldn't help me once we confirm that is a ClearOs issue. I am starting a thread over there as well.

I guess I was more wondering if I can manually set the domain information instead of letting whs handle it. That would be a solution to my problem on the whs side of things.

Thanks again!

Adam Melton

Monday, September 19, 2011 6:02 PM
  • I guess I was more wondering if I can manually set the domain information instead of letting whs handle it. That would be a solution to my problem on the whs side of things.

Unfortunately, you can't.

As for helping you, we can to an extent, but there are just too many routers out there, plus folks who do things like flash their router with open source firmware, run linux as a router, build complex home networks, etc. to really be able to say "Do this and all your problems will be solved."

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, September 19, 2011 7:39 PM