Does installing IE9 uninstall or overwrite existing IE8? RRS feed

• Question

• My WHS2011 installation wants to perform some updates:

1. KB2675157 "Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for WIndows Server 2008 R2

2. Windows Internet Explorer 9 for Windows Server 2008 R2

I wonder why I should let WU update IE8 if IE9 is about to be installed, unless IE8 is not Un-installed with IE9? Should I manually uninstall IE8 and then let WU go ahead and install IE9?

It seems I only need one browser, and I want it to be latest IE9 (observing Windows Update reqmts also).

Saturday, April 21, 2012 8:05 PM

Answers

• If you select both at once, I believe at the end of the process you will be told that the update to IE8 failed, because IE 9 was installed. IE 9 will replace IE 8; there's no need to uninstall anything.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by maxblack Sunday, April 22, 2012 10:01 PM
    Saturday, April 21, 2012 8:39 PM

All replies

• If you select both at once, I believe at the end of the process you will be told that the update to IE8 failed, because IE 9 was installed. IE 9 will replace IE 8; there's no need to uninstall anything.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by maxblack Sunday, April 22, 2012 10:01 PM
    Saturday, April 21, 2012 8:39 PM
  • Thank you Ken. I will simply select the IE9 install and see if the need for the IE8 update goes away.
    Sunday, April 22, 2012 7:11 PM
  • Ok I installed the IE9 item, leaving the other 6 unchecked, and IE9 was installed, and the IE8 update disappeared from the list.

In the past I have sometimes installed "program updates" which didn't Un-install the older version, and then later when I un-installed the older version this would hose-up the newer version as well. So I was nervous about this.

Thanks Ken for helping me out!

Sunday, April 22, 2012 10:00 PM