Extra dummy address record is created in "Address" entity when Account record is created RRS feed

• Question

• I was working on cleaning up one of our clients' "More Addresses" records using Advanced Find and found what seems to be a bug.

Whenever you create an account record, the CRM creates a copy of that address in the "Address" entity and labels that address with "Address Number" = "1".  In addition, I also found that there's second address record created in "Address" entity but that record seems to be useless entry.  All of the fields in that record is blank except for few fields and they are consistently filled with "Address Type" as "Bill To", "Freight Terms" as "FOB", and "Shipping Method" as "Airborne".  The Address Number is always set to "2".  This record does not show up in "More Addresses" under Account but it does take up a record space for every Account record created thus consuming disk space.  Basically if you have 100,000 account records, you will have 100,000 blank address records created in "Address" entity. 

I found this problem only because I was trying to clean up some addresses in "More Addresses".  I think I am going to delete all of these dummy addresses but before I do, I wanted to bring it up to this forum and see if others have noticed this and have deleted those records with no side effects.  I think this is a bug in CRM.  Thanks, 

Saturday, March 24, 2012 4:42 AM

Answers

• Hi Jonathan,

I think what you are experiencing is by design, ie not a bug. The system do create 2 rows for each account (and contact) in the customeraddressbase table, one correspond to the address1... and the second for address2.... The entries in the customeraddressbase table (or in UI speak the More Address) are used for those entities that have a "Look Up Address" function eg the Order Entity.

NB: If you delete those null rows directly off the Database, the front end will throw an Error each time you try and change/update/add the address for that record.

Hope this gives you some idea but personally I would not delete those entries.

Eric UNG [Senior Analyst Programmer :: Sydney, Australia]

Saturday, March 24, 2012 7:09 AM
  • The two "place holder" address entries in the address table for each Account/Contact record is BY design.  It is used in other CRM areas such as copy address to an Order, Quote, etc.  If these place holder address entries are removed, the related Account/Contact record will generate an Error when corresonding address 1 or address 2 fields are updated.

Should it be by design is debatable.  If you have another suggestion for it - submit it here for Microsoft CRM Team's consideration.

https://connect.microsoft.com/dynamicssuggestions

Follow me on Twitter

Good CRM Links
    My CRM Blog: http://mscrmonline.wordpress.com

Sunday, March 25, 2012 11:08 PM

All replies

• Hi Jonathan,

I think what you are experiencing is by design, ie not a bug. The system do create 2 rows for each account (and contact) in the customeraddressbase table, one correspond to the address1... and the second for address2.... The entries in the customeraddressbase table (or in UI speak the More Address) are used for those entities that have a "Look Up Address" function eg the Order Entity.

NB: If you delete those null rows directly off the Database, the front end will throw an Error each time you try and change/update/add the address for that record.

Hope this gives you some idea but personally I would not delete those entries.

Eric UNG [Senior Analyst Programmer :: Sydney, Australia]

Saturday, March 24, 2012 7:09 AM
  • Hi Eric,

From what I can tell and tested, I do not think it is by design or should be by design.  I have previously tested your theory by deleting the second row "Address Number 2" record and was able to update the "Address Number 1" record successfully.  From what I can tell, there were no other dependencies to 2nd set of record that got created.  Again that More Address record entry did not contain any meaningful data other than four fields "Address Type", "Freight Terms", "Shipping Method", and "Address Number" being filled with "Bill To", "FOB", "Airborne" and "2", respectively.

Also, I am not directly deleting these records from database.  I am using views in CRM Online to view and deleting them.

Have you tested yourself and gotten en error message?

Sunday, March 25, 2012 7:33 PM
  • The two "place holder" address entries in the address table for each Account/Contact record is BY design.  It is used in other CRM areas such as copy address to an Order, Quote, etc.  If these place holder address entries are removed, the related Account/Contact record will generate an Error when corresonding address 1 or address 2 fields are updated.

Should it be by design is debatable.  If you have another suggestion for it - submit it here for Microsoft CRM Team's consideration.

https://connect.microsoft.com/dynamicssuggestions

Follow me on Twitter

Good CRM Links
    My CRM Blog: http://mscrmonline.wordpress.com

Sunday, March 25, 2012 11:08 PM