Media Streamer Security Problem!!! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I recently bought HP EX495 Media Server and have been playing with it for a while now. I see that if I create a user and give access ONLY to either Music, Photos or Videos and the user will get access to all three via Media Streamer link. Isn't this a security bug?

I also tried setting complete Deny Access permission in the backend but even then the user could see and access all three.

How exactly can I control access to either of these three?

Thanks and Regards,
    Vasu
    Monday, November 30, 2009 11:00 PM

Answers

• I see. That's not part of Windows Home Server; it's added software from HP. You can contact HP, or you could try asking in the MediaSmartServer.net forums (among others), but my bet is that there's no per user access control available in it.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by EX495 Monday, December 7, 2009 6:42 PM
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 3:15 PM

All replies

• Are you talking about access to the shares (such as \\server\videos), or to media in the three media folders that you're accessing through the built-in media streaming?
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 2:32 AM

• Sorry for not being clear in the first place. I'm not really sure if this is a WHS thing or HP add-on. I see the Media Streamer link when I remotely access my WHS using a URL. Now when I click on this Media Streamer link, a flash based application is loaded that provides access to shared Music, Photos and Videos. I was talking about access within this flash application.

Tuesday, December 1, 2009 3:05 PM
  • I see. That's not part of Windows Home Server; it's added software from HP. You can contact HP, or you could try asking in the MediaSmartServer.net forums (among others), but my bet is that there's no per user access control available in it.
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 3:15 PM

• Thanks for the clarification and I guess you are right about the per user access control. I'll see if someone got any workaround with this.
    • Unmarked as answer by EX495 Monday, December 7, 2009 6:42 PM
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 3:33 PM