One Care inhibiting Sleep Mode and Screen saver RRS feed

• Question

• I recently bought a new computer and installed One Care. Since the install of One Care  the Screen Saver and Sleep Mode will not activate. All settings are correct for both to function. I have seen a number of posts (both old and new) regarding this issue. Does anyone know if Microsoft has identified the issue with One Care and is planning a fix? I am ready to DUMP One Care and purchase and install McAffee. Any information would be helpful.  Thx.
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 2:25 PM

Answers

• Actually, I'm not aware of any reason that OneCare would inhibit either a screensaver or sleep mode. Usually, problems with either are due to a hardware driver, typically the video driver for sleep mode, or a network interface card. Screensavers would be prevented because an input device is preventing the system from sensing the lack of activity - this would typically be the mouse or keyboard drivers.

If you believe this to be caused by OneCare, please contact support for help.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 7:06 PM

All replies

• Actually, I'm not aware of any reason that OneCare would inhibit either a screensaver or sleep mode. Usually, problems with either are due to a hardware driver, typically the video driver for sleep mode, or a network interface card. Screensavers would be prevented because an input device is preventing the system from sensing the lack of activity - this would typically be the mouse or keyboard drivers.

If you believe this to be caused by OneCare, please contact support for help.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 7:06 PM
  • I would agree with your answer except that this is a new machine and everything worked before installing Onecare. In addition, I have seen others on this thread post the same complaint. In fact you responded to Ken on July 29,  2007 and to Jeff on October 22, 2008 regarding this same issue. Do we all have bad drivers or problematic software?

It looks like I will move forward with McAfee and see if this functionality returns.

Thanks!
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 7:48 PM
  •  

I am not excluding the possibility that the problem is caused by OneCare, since a handful of similar reports over a few years wouldn't indicate that OneCare is prone to doing this. Yes, it is very likely that the other reported cases also had a driver or hardware issue. That's why I suggest contact support.

-steve

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 7:34 PM