SATA driver issue overcome - or so I thought! RRS feed

• Question

• Ok - sorted the SATA driver issue and 90% of the way through I get the error  -
    Inf install failure reason the data is invalid - had a poke on the internet and it says 99& of the time its a Virus - cant be on this one as its a new install!

HELP plz

Tuesday, June 23, 2009 10:09 PM

All replies

• Ok - sorted the SATA driver issue and 90% of the way through I get the error  -
    Inf install failure reason the data is invalid - had a poke on the internet and it says 99& of the time its a Virus - cant be on this one as its a new install!

HELP plz

Are you sure you have the correct driver for your SATA ports?  You might try starting another New Installation.  (Also, if you want to avoid the hassle of SATA drivers, just set your SATA ports to "IDE/Legacy" mode in your mobo's BIOS.  Then you won't need the drivers at all.)
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 12:07 AM
  • Yes 100% sure as I used the floppy disk that came with the MOBO for the SATA drivers.

I have no option in my BIOS to set the SAT Ato legacy/IDE mode -
    I would buy an IDE HDD, but that will not solve the fact that ALL my drives are SATA and then wont be able to be used.

May be a coincidence, but my install took around 3-4 hours in total to even get to the error, and on occasion it does say that the disk cannot be found (WHS DVDROM) and I click retry and its fine.
    The Optical drive is fine, its not new - so I tried another one and it sometiomes does the same on that one?

DOes no one know what this error relates to:-Inf install failure reason the data is invalid 
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 7:23 AM
  • You may want to go to your manufacturers site to see if there are any updated drivers (as INF install would indicate a driver issue)
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 11:54 PM
  • A point to note with WHS is that the basic install is based on Windows Server 2003 and does not support some motherboards that Windows XP or Windows Vista may support. This is through the drivers supplied within Windows Server 2003 do not support all the Motherboards (we) use for general PC's. If you watch the WHS install you will see it installs Windows Server 2003 (Small Business Server version) then overlays WHS components. If the motherboard requires drivers for the chipsets on the motherboard to enable access to devices beyond then these will need to be loaded once WHS is installed.

This is the same process for Windows XP or Vista, even though XP or Vista provide basic chipset support or drivers to see the Hardware or device within a PC install. This is highlighted within the Device manager by a yellow “?” mark(s) till the correct device driver(s) are loaded.

The point to note is if you are going to build your own WHS check that the motherboard can be used for Windows Server 2003 – Small Business Server. This will enable all devices to be seen by WHS at install and then load additional drivers to give full/enhanced operation of the device. This is more relevant with the new generation Motherboards produced over the last year which Windows Server 2003 do not know about Sata Drive chipsets........

Best of luck……..

IT professional looking for the perfect Home System & Server......
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 1:44 AM