HP Pavilion A6518F Desktop + adding WHS on this comuter.... RRS feed

• Question

• I want to install WHS on this machine.... This machine has SATA ports that I can use for the additionl hard drive...

I want simple WHS, faster then HP sells at 400 $ price range....  this comuter sell for 299 at buy.com today and I can add 99 $ WHS from newegg.

any advice...?

• Edited by KapWHS Tuesday, June 2, 2009 4:06 PM too long post
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 8:59 PM

Answers

• kapadia101 said:

The reason I want to buy a computer and use it as machine
    1) get Faster processor and better RAM memory..
    2) I confirmed that Mother board has Atleast 4 sata Ports and I can add 4 SATA hard drive to that machine. for future upgrade.
    3) Able to modify hardware, have direct access to monitor and in future..get cheaper/clearance HP Home media Server...
    4) able to get Quad core processor and RAm... that can help Media server to encode and server video files to all PS3 and other pnp Media smart device.
    5) get more hardware for the money.

1. faster processors are not bad, if you use WHS for more, than comes out of the box. More RAM is not a fault at all, if we see the minimum equipments of many of the premade WHS systems.
    2. The mainboard is not the only component, which counts here. As important is, that the case has enough room for the disks.
    3. video card is good at least for trouble shooting and sometimes makes reinstall experiences less complicated, I have to agree with that point.
    4. Quad core CPU is not part of that offer. But as a server is usually sitting idle, it would be a waste of electrical power and therefore money. Also many of the scenarios mentioned are not supported, so they may or may not run
    5. Sometimes less is more.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, November 7, 2008 10:07 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    refurbished and only 90 days warranty - this is not what I would buy as a new machine.
    Also you should be aware, that you may not find Windows Server 2003 compatible drivers for some of the core components.
    As a desktop you may also not find much place to add more internal storage.
    Finally - a WHS with only one harddisk would not be enough to use some of the greater features of Windows Home Server.
    Olaf
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 11:41 PM
  • kapadia101 said:

The reason I want to buy a computer and use it as machine
    1) get Faster processor and better RAM memory..
    2) I confirmed that Mother board has Atleast 4 sata Ports and I can add 4 SATA hard drive to that machine. for future upgrade.
    3) Able to modify hardware, have direct access to monitor and in future..get cheaper/clearance HP Home media Server...
    4) able to get Quad core processor and RAm... that can help Media server to encode and server video files to all PS3 and other pnp Media smart device.
    5) get more hardware for the money.

1. faster processors are not bad, if you use WHS for more, than comes out of the box. More RAM is not a fault at all, if we see the minimum equipments of many of the premade WHS systems.
    2. The mainboard is not the only component, which counts here. As important is, that the case has enough room for the disks.
    3. video card is good at least for trouble shooting and sometimes makes reinstall experiences less complicated, I have to agree with that point.
    4. Quad core CPU is not part of that offer. But as a server is usually sitting idle, it would be a waste of electrical power and therefore money. Also many of the scenarios mentioned are not supported, so they may or may not run
    5. Sometimes less is more.
    Olaf
    Friday, November 7, 2008 10:07 AM