Two internal SATA disks - one Sys/Data, other 'Backup'. Reinstall to disk 1 only? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have two identical internal 1Tb SATA drives. The first disk has the SYS and DATA partitions, the second disk is added to WHS as a 'Backup' disk (long story, not the place to expalin here!).

I need to do a WHS reinstall and want to know will a reinstall try to use both physical disks or can I get it to reinstall over the primary SYS/DATA diskl only; leaving the backup disk untouched?

If so do I need to remove the backup disk from within WHS first? I do not want to have to detatch the cables etc from the second backup drive unless absolutely necessary

Thanks

S
    Monday, January 11, 2010 8:38 AM

Answers

• While performing a server REINSTALL, the data and backup disks will stay unchanged (assuming, the current system disk is attached and detected as drive 0). Only if you need to perform a clean installation, you should disconnect the SATA cable of that second disk before starting.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Monday, January 11, 2010 12:27 PM
    • Marked as answer by wheatism Monday, January 11, 2010 2:47 PM
    Monday, January 11, 2010 9:11 AM