main hard drive died RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I was running an evaluation copy of windows home server and everything was fine, but then my main hard drive died. That is to say. I had two hard drives in the machine.

1. 120 gb IDE Western Digital was my main drive, I setup the OS on this drive. Then I added:
    2. 320 gb SATA Western Digital hard drive. I added this as storage space for the machine. 

One day the main drive (the 120 gb) died. So I could no longer boot up the system. I was able to get the main drive to work a few times and started to back up a few files, but now it seems to be completely dead.

My question is this... is there a way to get the file off of the good drive (the 320 gb)? What files system does WHS use? Can I just put the drive in an external enclosure and attach it to windows XP? if so, how (I have try to do this and it didn't work)?

Any idea would be greatly appreciated!!!

thanks in advance.
    Tuesday, December 11, 2007 9:23 PM

Answers

• I believe its standard NTFS. You should be able to grab all the files off, you may just need go to Computer Management and assign it a Drive letter.

A better idea is just buy another drive and do a system reinstall.
    http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1258811&SiteID=50

Assuming you had folder duplication, you should have all the files on your 320 GB and be able to restore them back into WHS. Of course your backups and custom settings are gone, but it should just take some time to fix.
    Wednesday, December 12, 2007 1:00 AM

All replies

• I believe its standard NTFS. You should be able to grab all the files off, you may just need go to Computer Management and assign it a Drive letter.

A better idea is just buy another drive and do a system reinstall.
    http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1258811&SiteID=50

Assuming you had folder duplication, you should have all the files on your 320 GB and be able to restore them back into WHS. Of course your backups and custom settings are gone, but it should just take some time to fix.
    Wednesday, December 12, 2007 1:00 AM
  •  

You could buy Spinrite and it will at a 99% will fix the problem of your hard drive.  But its about $80 but I heard that its a great bit of software to have, hard drives will die but if they take your only copy of your photos from events that will never happen again then its just horrible and it is ok to pay a $80 charge for abit more peace of mind.  Have you tried the hard drive in the freeze trick for about 2 hours or so wrap it in a towel because it will burn.  This will give you about 30 mins to get your data off it.

Hope you do get your data off it.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 1:31 AM
  • So...when the main drive dies...can you replace it, reinstall WHS, and will it find anything replicated on the remaining drives? Or do you have to completely start over and have duplicates of stuff scattered on the drives?

Thanks,
    John
    Wednesday, December 12, 2007 9:08 PM
  • If your system disk fails, you can replace it and perform a server reinstallation. The reinstallation process will find your data on the other drives that were in your storage pool and make it available to you. Warning: if you have a lot of data spread across multiple drives, you may have an extended wait for WHS to find and validate all the files.
    Wednesday, December 12, 2007 9:35 PM