Hibernation or StandBy RRS feed

• General discussion

• It should be possible that the server go to stand by or hibernation when no computers in the network are "On" or when there is no request over internet and no other actions doing (Balancing storage, ...). In my mind it is not clear why the server should be "Always On". I think is not really necessary.

Alternative it should be clear, that the server has no power options, that means you should remove the power options from the control panel.

Sunday, July 1, 2007 4:51 PM

All replies

• The big reason for the server to be "always on" is to support remote access. If the server goes into stand by or hibernation, it will be unavailable to accept remote access requests until someone wakes it up, which isn't a trivial task if one isn't standing in front of it. (It will also be unavailable for local requests...)

The power options are part of Windows Server 2003, and are largely there to support an orderly shutdown if a UPS starts reporting low battery during a power failure.
    Monday, July 2, 2007 2:17 AM
  • Would it be possible to have a standby/power saving feature for those of us that dont' want to use remote access?  Also, would it be possible to have the server wakeup via LAN the same way that the server can wakeup client computers?

My concern is that having a computer on 24/7 is not economical or environmentally friendly for the home user, especially when one considers that many have servers are used for 8-10 hours a day, tops.  It would be very nice if there was some type of low-power mode.
    Thursday, July 5, 2007 9:14 PM
  • would it be possible to do either or for those people wanting to shut down the home server and then send a wol package to the server in case remote its necessary?...of course we would have to configure our firewall for such
    Friday, July 13, 2007 5:16 PM
  • I have been trying to put my server into standbyl because i too believe that a server does not necessarily need to be on 24/7 for everyone.

Problem is, that something keeps waking up my server, even when the LAN is unplugged. There is a process / service which is causing this but i have no idea what it is.

Monday, July 30, 2007 10:26 AM
  •  timswim78 wrote:
    Would it be possible to have a standby/power saving feature for those of us that dont' want to use remote access?  Also, would it be possible to have the server wakeup via LAN the same way that the server can wakeup client computers?

My concern is that having a computer on 24/7 is not economical or environmentally friendly for the home user, especially when one considers that many have servers are used for 8-10 hours a day, tops.  It would be very nice if there was some type of low-power mode.

You can use the power settings built into the Control Panel, however the server doesn't 'wake up' the client computers. That is done by the connector software.

WakeUp by Lan is a very hit and miss afair, very few computer/network cards have the intelligence to be agle to recognise, let alone act on a magic packet. The vast majority of them will wake up on the slightest activity on the Lan, which will end up being the worst possible option.

The other alternative, if this is so much of a problem, is read a couple of threads in the Hardware section, where people are building very low power servers.

HTH,

Colin

Monday, July 30, 2007 5:09 PM