none
Does SyncToy 2.1 support following symlinks? RRS feed

• Question

• I recently installed SyncToy 2.1 to synchronize several of my directories, specifically using the Echo option.  One of those directories contains symlinks.  I've read that SyncToy does support them, but it does not follow the symlinks to copy the linked directories.

Any help will be appreciated
    Friday, December 18, 2009 2:20 AM

Answers

• Hi zgitrdun8705,

For now, SyncToy does not have build-in support on symlinks.

SyncToy 2.0/2.1 can work with symlinks in some scenarios because some Windows symlink implementations have certain level of compatibility with Windows IO APIs. I have tried the following symlink scenarios so far: 

1. Symbolic/Junction folders: SyncToy 2.1 can work if a symbolic/junction folder itself is a sync folder, but it CANNOT work if a symbolic/junction folder is a SUB-folder of a sync folder. 

2. Symbolic files (NTFS Junction does not support a single file): SyncToy 2.1 can sync a symbolic file which is currently created before the incoming sync session, BUT it cannot sync any subsequence update of a synced symbolic file.

(Sorry for the inconvenience. There were user suggestions on further supporting NTFS junction folders. We have let our developers know that suggestion. And you are always welcome when you have any requirements or ideas. )

Thanks

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by zgitrdun8705 Friday, December 18, 2009 12:59 PM
    Friday, December 18, 2009 8:33 AM

All replies

• Hi zgitrdun8705,

For now, SyncToy does not have build-in support on symlinks.

SyncToy 2.0/2.1 can work with symlinks in some scenarios because some Windows symlink implementations have certain level of compatibility with Windows IO APIs. I have tried the following symlink scenarios so far: 

1. Symbolic/Junction folders: SyncToy 2.1 can work if a symbolic/junction folder itself is a sync folder, but it CANNOT work if a symbolic/junction folder is a SUB-folder of a sync folder. 

2. Symbolic files (NTFS Junction does not support a single file): SyncToy 2.1 can sync a symbolic file which is currently created before the incoming sync session, BUT it cannot sync any subsequence update of a synced symbolic file.

(Sorry for the inconvenience. There were user suggestions on further supporting NTFS junction folders. We have let our developers know that suggestion. And you are always welcome when you have any requirements or ideas. )

Thanks

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by zgitrdun8705 Friday, December 18, 2009 12:59 PM
    Friday, December 18, 2009 8:33 AM
  • Alright, thanks for the response.  looks like its time to find a different tool for now.   hope this feature gets added soon!
    Friday, December 18, 2009 12:58 PM