Repair failing RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, I've been running WHS for years now and am on current release and maintenance.  I think this all started when I ran out of disk space because I was moving Windows media center recordings over to WHS.  Anyway, I shut that off and removed those recordings from WHS and now have plenty of disk space again.  WHS keeps telling me to REPAIR and I've done that and rebooted repeatedly and still the same result.  All disks are 'healthy' btw.  Anyway, I'm been messing with this long enough and just want to delete the backup database and start backups over again.  All the info I'm finding in searches is old.  What is the current method for deleting the Backup database and starting over?  Does WHS Toolkit 1.0 still work?
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 8:49 PM

Answers

All replies

• You'll find information about where backups are stored in the Home Computer Backup and Restore technical brief.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by rmalbers1 Wednesday, February 24, 2010 2:29 PM
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 10:28 PM
  • Ok, that did work, I'm back in action.  Also for other that might see this - the process does NOT delete the shares, they are under a different directory.  The other 'advantage' of this is that it did clean up a lot of old files because I have win 7 now, but before had vista and xp backups on WHS.

Anyway this is what I did:

Deleting the Backup Database

You may want to delete the entire backup database from your home server to reclaim the disk space. The backup database is stored entirely in the folder D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}.

*       To delete the backup database on your Windows Home Server

1.     Run mstsc.exe to start a Remote Desktop Connection session to your home server.

2.     Open a Command Prompt, Click Start, Run and type CMD

3.     Type net stop PDL.

4.     Type net stop WHSBackup to stop the Windows Home Server Backup service.

5.     Delete the contents of D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}.  Do not delete the folder.

6.     Type net start WHSBackup to restart the Windows Home Server Backup service.

7.     Type net start PDL.

Important

After deleting the backup database, you need to reinstall the Windows Home Server Connector software or run the Discovery.Exe program on each of your home computers to re-establish a relationship between your home computers and your home server so new backups will occur.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 2:29 PM