none
Answer points not Credited RRS feed

Answers

• There are a couple of things around points and calculations that you are probably aware of, but may not be. There could be fluctuation in points and metrics. The points and stats for a user are basically recalculated when any thread they have participated in is 'touched' or manipulated. So if you posted to a thread and someone posted after you, this kicks off a 'recalc' for all the users involved on that thread. There are a couple of rules that come into play which could impact points or give the impression someone 'lost' points. When a user asks a question and then replies to their own question, we don't reward the 2 points in that thread. This is to ensure poeple don't just reply to their own topics gaining points. Also, if a post is unmarked or deleted, since the calculation is against 'current' contributions, there may be fluctuation there. The lag in the numbers (if points don't show up but eventually do) could be because of back end engine outtage/delay or could be the initial action failed and the next 'recalc' job hasn't occured for a while until someone has 'touched' the thread the action happened in, kicking off a new recalc. We also don't reward points for answers, or shouldn't be, if a user self marks their post. I seem to remember a bug around this that we may not have yet fixed, I'd have to double check on that. In any case, over the next few months we plan to move the recognition engine from forums to our profile application. The initial move will likely not impact or change how points currently work. Until this move I don't expect much effort towards resolving issues or bugs in our current points engine as we plan to soon retire it after moving to the new system. The months after this move we plan to re evaluate the points and what we reward. There is a real opportunity here to re evaluate this and better incent users to do things we want them to do in the system and better reward users that contribute in ways outside 'answer'. So at a high level, if the points are off by a few here and there it is very hard to diagnose unless I go individually into the database and spend a couple hours writing sql queries to resolve. In the past I have done this only to find there is some good reason for a discrepancy, basically spending time rewriting the same complicated sql query the points engine executes throughout the day. Since we are working towards moving to a more robust and flexibile system (that will also allow for us to correct points disputes), I do not plan to invest too much time between now and then unless there is some very severe obvious bug. I really hope this helps, appologize for the confusion and look forward to solving some of these issues as we move towards a better approach.
    Community Forums Program Manager
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 6:50 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Today my 4 answers are marked and just 3 shows in Marked answer, previous answer is also not updated. If I go by (non-marked last answer as reported on 19th Feb) my score was 74 so now it should be 78, somehow everytime 1 answer is missed. totalling to 2 missed so far. Please look into it.
    Sapna S
    Monday, February 21, 2011 5:23 PM
  • I a little confused, is this a report about points or the number of answers? Or both? You currently have 79 Answers.

When you view your threads, do you see all your answers there?

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 6:47 PM
    Answerer
  • Hello Brent,

Thanks for taking a look into it, sometimes count of my Answers doesn't get updated and get stuck or lost for 2 days or so. Other times my points doesn't sum up appropriately. I feel like as if 2 of my Answers didn't add to Answer Count that is of 80 as of today (should actually have to be 82). Is there a way I can see all of my Answered posts so that I can assure that both the Counts are exact. Thanks a lot for your support :)

Sapna S
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 10:21 AM
  • There are a couple of things around points and calculations that you are probably aware of, but may not be. There could be fluctuation in points and metrics. The points and stats for a user are basically recalculated when any thread they have participated in is 'touched' or manipulated. So if you posted to a thread and someone posted after you, this kicks off a 'recalc' for all the users involved on that thread. There are a couple of rules that come into play which could impact points or give the impression someone 'lost' points. When a user asks a question and then replies to their own question, we don't reward the 2 points in that thread. This is to ensure poeple don't just reply to their own topics gaining points. Also, if a post is unmarked or deleted, since the calculation is against 'current' contributions, there may be fluctuation there. The lag in the numbers (if points don't show up but eventually do) could be because of back end engine outtage/delay or could be the initial action failed and the next 'recalc' job hasn't occured for a while until someone has 'touched' the thread the action happened in, kicking off a new recalc. We also don't reward points for answers, or shouldn't be, if a user self marks their post. I seem to remember a bug around this that we may not have yet fixed, I'd have to double check on that. In any case, over the next few months we plan to move the recognition engine from forums to our profile application. The initial move will likely not impact or change how points currently work. Until this move I don't expect much effort towards resolving issues or bugs in our current points engine as we plan to soon retire it after moving to the new system. The months after this move we plan to re evaluate the points and what we reward. There is a real opportunity here to re evaluate this and better incent users to do things we want them to do in the system and better reward users that contribute in ways outside 'answer'. So at a high level, if the points are off by a few here and there it is very hard to diagnose unless I go individually into the database and spend a couple hours writing sql queries to resolve. In the past I have done this only to find there is some good reason for a discrepancy, basically spending time rewriting the same complicated sql query the points engine executes throughout the day. Since we are working towards moving to a more robust and flexibile system (that will also allow for us to correct points disputes), I do not plan to invest too much time between now and then unless there is some very severe obvious bug. I really hope this helps, appologize for the confusion and look forward to solving some of these issues as we move towards a better approach.
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 6:50 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks a lot Brent :) I understand that at this point of it may be difficult to look into the DB for each discrepancy. But I m so glad that you looked into the issue and made an effort to write back with all the details. Thanks again.
    Sapna S
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 6:48 AM