none
EFS

Question

• We upgraded win xp 32 bit to win 7 64 bit with the custom installation. We took the backup but unable to take backup of EFS certificate as we were unaware of that. After upgradation, these encrypted files are not opening up.</p><p>We do not have certificate to import now after the fresh installtion. Is there any solution to open these files again without the EFS certificate????
    Saturday, January 10, 2015 4:16 PM

Answers

All replies

• The only way to access EFS encrypted files is with the owner's EFS ceritficate or Data Recovery Agent's certificate (if it exists).

It is also possible to assign access to "Trusted People". It is possible that some other persons have access to EFS protected files. 

• Edited by Les52 Saturday, January 10, 2015 5:14 PM
    Saturday, January 10, 2015 5:14 PM
  • Thanks for your reply

On that hard disk windows 7 (64 bit) installed without taking the EFS or data recovery agent's certificate backup. Our data recovery partner (Stellar) unable to recover the previous files or certificates as that hard disk got reused. Is there any other way or any other software which can open the encrypted file without any certificate?

Sunday, January 11, 2015 5:24 AM
  • Hello,

The Windows Desktop Perfmon and Diagnostic tools forum is to discuss performance monitor (perfmon), resource monitor (resmon), and task manager, focusing on HOW-TO, Errors/Problems, and usage scenarios.

As the question is off topic here, I am moving it to the Where is the Forum... forum.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join ('6F6C646B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 11:28 PM
  • Hello,

I'd ask in the Windows XP IT Pro forum.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join ('6F6C646B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 11:31 PM