firwell disabled each time i restart my computer RRS feed

• Question

•  

each time i restart my computer....the firewall is disabled....i go into "one care" or "hp total care advisor" and enable it or update settings...it works till i turn of my computer...each time i turn it on...i have to enable firewall...i have high speed connection...with a small black box which connects through the phone line...

thanks

Saturday, September 1, 2007 8:39 PM

Answers

•  pvgt wrote:

I am having the same problem.

There appears to be some interference between the Vista Firewall and the OneCare Firewall. HP's "Total Care Advisor" on the HP Pavilion Media Center keeps indicating that the Vista Firewall is OFF even though the OneCare Firewall is ON. When OneCare disabled the Vista Firewalll it did not do it in such a way that other software would be aware of the substitution.

I contacted HP and after trying various solutions they said that the problem was with the OneCare software. I do not know if this is true or not.

This sounds like it will become a standoff between HP and Microsoft - but I thought I would ask anyway and see if you have any suggestions to make these two software packages communicate nicely.

pvgt,

I don't beleive that there is a standoff between HP and Microsoft. HP has been one of the trusted OEMs for Microsoft. But what we see here is that your Security Center is out of synchronization with OneCare. Usually your HP computer must have came preinstalled with Norton and what it does is that it modifies some of the settings in the system which includes settings in the Security Center. Try these steps out:

1. Go to Start>All Programs>Accessories>Find Command Prompt and Right Click on it and Run as Administrator.
    2. On Command Prompt lets type in 'net stop winmgmt' without the quotations and select Y hit enter to stop all the running dependencies.
    3. Now let's type in 'winmgmt /verifyrepository' without the quotations and there is a space between the winmgmt and the / then hit enter. Regardless of the resut that you may receive let's continue.
    4. Now let's type in 'winmgmt /resyncperf' without the quotation marks and there is a space between the winmgmt and the / then hit enter. Regardless of the resut that you may receive let's continue.
    5. Repeat step 3.
    6. Now restart your computer.

If this does not help there maybe some further issues within your system and you may need to contact support:
    http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1183038&SiteID=2

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 7:33 AM

All replies

• Hi nosh97,

Thanks for trying out our product! For your firewall issue, are you talking about the Windows Firewall (which comes with your install of your OS), or the OneCare firewall (which is a seperate firewall included in OneCare)? OneCare disables Windows Firewall, and your firewall settings are then handled by OneCare. Is your OneCare icon green? If so, you're being protected by OneCare's firewall. If OneCare's icon is red as a result of firewall being turned off and you can't turn it on, then please let us know!

Thanks again,

-John

Monday, September 3, 2007 3:48 AM
  •  

There appears to be some interference between the Vista Firewall and the OneCare Firewall. HP's "Total Care Advisor" on the HP Pavilion Media Center keeps indicating that the Vista Firewall is OFF even though the OneCare Firewall is ON. When OneCare disabled the Vista Firewalll it did not do it in such a way that other software would be aware of the substitution.

I contacted HP and after trying various solutions they said that the problem was with the OneCare software. I do not know if this is true or not.

This sounds like it will become a standoff between HP and Microsoft - but I thought I would ask anyway and see if you have any suggestions to make these two software packages communicate nicely.

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 4:06 AM
  •  pvgt wrote:

pvgt,

I don't beleive that there is a standoff between HP and Microsoft. HP has been one of the trusted OEMs for Microsoft. But what we see here is that your Security Center is out of synchronization with OneCare. Usually your HP computer must have came preinstalled with Norton and what it does is that it modifies some of the settings in the system which includes settings in the Security Center. Try these steps out:

1. Go to Start>All Programs>Accessories>Find Command Prompt and Right Click on it and Run as Administrator.
    2. On Command Prompt lets type in 'net stop winmgmt' without the quotations and select Y hit enter to stop all the running dependencies.
    3. Now let's type in 'winmgmt /verifyrepository' without the quotations and there is a space between the winmgmt and the / then hit enter. Regardless of the resut that you may receive let's continue.
    4. Now let's type in 'winmgmt /resyncperf' without the quotation marks and there is a space between the winmgmt and the / then hit enter. Regardless of the resut that you may receive let's continue.
    5. Repeat step 3.
    6. Now restart your computer.

If this does not help there maybe some further issues within your system and you may need to contact support:
    http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1183038&SiteID=2

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 7:33 AM
  • Hey there,

I was looking for some information similar to the person who started this thread.

I am running windows onecare and have been for a year and a half or so, started with the beta and then subscribed.

Periodically (happened twice this week) when I turn on my computer the windows onecare firewall shows as having been turned off and my computer at risk. I click on the ballon and it resets my firewall.

What is causing this? Any idea? I can always reset the firewall and it works fine, but I am curious what is happening while my computer is off that is causing the firewall to get turned off, and if there is anything I can do to prevent it.

It has happened on the last couple of computers I have been running this on.

Currently I am using it on a
    DELL Optiplex Desktop GX270 P4 2.8Ghz, running xp professional, and using high speed cable.

Thanks a bunch!
    Saturday, January 26, 2008 10:07 PM
  • I suspect that it may be caused by a resource issue at startup. Normally, this problem affects the spyware and virus protection services, but it could also affect the firewall. As you noted, starting it manually resolves it. I know that the next update to OneCare, due shortly, is meant to resolve many of the startup issues. If your problem persists, please contact support to have them review your system for anything that may be conflicting.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, January 28, 2008 1:24 AM