none
can not join a compute node to a HPC 2008 R2 cluster RRS feed

• Question

• I have Windows Server 2008 R2 HPC Edition installed on both machines.  The head node is setup as the domain controller.  Both machines have static IP addresses, and have the latest windows updates.

I'm trying to add a single compute node to this HPC Cluster. I have installed HPC Pack 2008 R2 on the compute node and have selected "Join a Cluster" during the installation.  It installed successfully.

However, on the cluster Manager of the head node, the compute node does not appear when I select "Add compute nodes that have already been configured"  I also made sure to create a node template that does not include an image.

How can I correct this so I can add this node???
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 7:47 AM

Answers

• Hi there
    As you say there is no HPC specific GUI on compute nodes, but as is often the case the Windows Event Viewer (Windows HPC Server log) is a good place to start looking. Info 6116 shows the configured headnode regardless of whether it's correctly defined or not, and Error 6103 is logged when the headnode name is incorrect or not resolvable.
    Regards
    Dan
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 8:55 AM

All replies

• Are there any firewall issues or IPSec policies that may be preventing communication between the two machines (HN and CN)?  What kind of network topology are you using for your cluster?  Are you able to ping the Head Node from the Compute Node (and vica versa)? 
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 7:02 PM
  • Thanks for replying Mark.

I ended up resolving the issue about a day or two after my original post.  I should have posted back here sooner.  It ended up being an issue on the compute node.  I had a typo in my spelling when HPC Pack 2008 R2 asked me what the name of the head node I wanted to join was.

There is no GUI on the compute node that allows you to see what head node you are connected to.  I think there should be one.

There is no way to change which head node you are connected to from a GUI.  I ended up having to change the name of the head node in the registry.  A contact at Microsoft told me the location where it is set.  I will dig up the location for future reference and post back here.
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 6:36 AM
  • Hi there
    As you say there is no HPC specific GUI on compute nodes, but as is often the case the Windows Event Viewer (Windows HPC Server log) is a good place to start looking. Info 6116 shows the configured headnode regardless of whether it's correctly defined or not, and Error 6103 is logged when the headnode name is incorrect or not resolvable.
    Regards
    Dan
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 8:55 AM
  • Hello - I'm actually running into a similar problem, where on my compute node, I'm prompted to "Select Head Node" and when I enter the head node name, it does not connect. After looking at the compute node's event viewer, i'm getting error event id 6103

Couple questions - how did you change the head node in the registry? and is there a way to check on the head node the complete name (i.e. do you have to specify domain\headnodename)?

Thanks,

Anthony

Thursday, January 6, 2011 8:26 PM
  • i have a similar problem, and in the Windows Event Viewer,it reported a 6103 error,"authencication failed".

can you tell me why and how to fix it, thanks.

i also want to know the path of the head node in the registry

Friday, February 10, 2012 8:18 AM
  • This should set the HeadNode on a Cluster Node. My HeadNode is called "WinGrid2008".

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\HPC]
    "ClusterName"="WinGrid2008"

• Proposed as answer by sreis Monday, June 18, 2012 1:43 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by sreis Monday, June 18, 2012 1:44 AM
    Friday, February 17, 2012 12:41 AM
  • thanks

Monday, June 18, 2012 1:44 AM