MS Server 2008 - Installation cannot continue RRS feed

• Question

•  

I'm getting the following error during install on Server 2008 standard 32bit.

"Network problems are preventing windows live onecare installation from continuing at this time.  Please check your network connection and then click try again.  if the problem still occurs, click get help."

Error ID: 0014-80040276.

I have disabled windows firewall with no success.  I have checked my LAN settings.  Internet works for everything else.

This is on a fresh install of windows 2008 server with no third party installations of any kind (other than sharepoint).  Please advise.

Monday, July 28, 2008 7:46 PM

Answers

• Error 0014 indicates a download error.

Unfortunately, I have no experience with OneCare for Server, so I have nothing to suggest other than contacting support. I'm not sure what their experience with the current beta/trial download is.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

On the speculation side, when the 0014 error occurs it is either because something is blocking the download of the installation files *or* there is a server side problem. On the PC side, the Windows firewall should not be an issue, but an authenticating proxy would be an issue, as would other 3rd party security. You might want to make sure that the microsoft domain is in your trusted zone in the IE settings, but that's a wild guess on my part.

-steve

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 12:27 PM

All replies

• I have the same problem also. I have even reinstalled my server but still get the same result. I have tried both onecare for server and onecare but yo no avail. I am behind an SBS 2008 RC0 server but have disabled the firewall to no avail

Monday, July 28, 2008 10:08 PM
  • Error 0014 indicates a download error.

Unfortunately, I have no experience with OneCare for Server, so I have nothing to suggest other than contacting support. I'm not sure what their experience with the current beta/trial download is.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

On the speculation side, when the 0014 error occurs it is either because something is blocking the download of the installation files *or* there is a server side problem. On the PC side, the Windows firewall should not be an issue, but an authenticating proxy would be an issue, as would other 3rd party security. You might want to make sure that the microsoft domain is in your trusted zone in the IE settings, but that's a wild guess on my part.

-steve

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 12:27 PM
  • On what platform of Windows Server 2008 are you trying to install OneCare?  In my limited knowledge of OneCare for server it WILL NOT install on a 32 bit platform.  Attempting to install OneCare for Server on a 32 bit Server 2008 platform will result in error 0014-80040276.  It's unfortunate that the error is misleading in that it describes a "communication" error, however it's not compatible with a 32 bit system and has nothing to do with communications!  I have successfully installed OneCare for Server on a 64 bit Server 2008 Platform.

I hope this helps even though it may not be the most encouraging news!

Review this link for compatibility: http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/server/sysreq.htm

Good Luck!

Michael

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 2:56 PM
  • Thanks for that information, Michael. It does seem strange that the 0014 error would be returned. The installer *should* report that you are using an unsupported OS, however, I have zero experience with installing to Windows Server 2008.

-steve

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 3:28 PM
  • Installing on VISTA SERVER 2008

Download the file and save in a folder named onecare setup

1st - Open the folder, 2nd - right click on the setup file SetupOneCare.exe, 3rd - Left click Properties, 4th - Select Compatibility, 5th - Select Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows XP (Service Pack 2), 6th - your done so please run again. 

GOD bless
    Monday, August 18, 2008 4:35 PM
  •  A8NMIG wrote:

Installing on VISTA SERVER 2008

Download the file and save in a folder named onecare setup

1st - Open the folder, 2nd - right click on the setup file SetupOneCare.exe, 3rd - Left click Properties, 4th - Select Compatibility, 5th - Select Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows XP (Service Pack 2), 6th - your done so please run again. 

GOD bless

If you are running Windows Server 2008 64 bit, the above is incorrect. Simply install by downloading the installer from http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/server/default.htm and install. No compatibility mode settings should be needed.

-steve

Monday, August 18, 2008 5:01 PM
  • Thanks for the info.  I was able to install it after changing the compatibility setting.  However, when i run onecare after install, it says that it can't connect to the Internet.  Seems like the issue is deeper.  Hopefully MS can fix by the time they release it for purchase.  At this point, I have to consider another options.  Does anyone have an alternate suggestion for windows server 2008 32bit?

Thursday, August 21, 2008 2:42 AM
  •  virnative wrote:

Thanks for the info.  I was able to install it after changing the compatibility setting.  However, when i run onecare after install, it says that it can't connect to the Internet.  Seems like the issue is deeper.  Hopefully MS can fix by the time they release it for purchase.  At this point, I have to consider another options.  Does anyone have an alternate suggestion for windows server 2008 32bit?

Are you trying to run this in compatibility mode on 32 bit server? If so, there's nothing for Microsoft to fix, as it is unsupported. If you are having the problem on 64 bit server, then contact support.

Alternatives for Server 2008 are many. One that I've heard decent reports on for server use is Avast - www.avast.com

-steve

Thursday, August 21, 2008 12:16 PM
  • Despite of what you can hear through the professionals grapevine, OneCare seems to me the most reliable en efficient solution to practically manage small LANs, keeping under control what is really important to keep.

Of course, if you can spend a lot of time in configuring complicated solutions as the Kaspersky one for Server you do a great job.

But I like a lot Onecare and I do need to test it in bigger network environments.

Sadly, I need to install it on a Windows Server Standard 2008 32 bit.

Is there somebody that know when Microsoft will release a compatible edition for this OS?

Thanks a lot.

Stefania Castelli

ICT Consultant

Italy   

Monday, October 13, 2008 3:11 PM
  • I am not aware of any plans to release OneCare for Server to support the 32 bit version of Windows Server, but that doesn't mean that it isn't actually in the works. I think that the intent of the Server version of OneCare is that it is sold with Windows Server 2008 SBS, and that this is only available in 64 bit. The fact that SBS is based on Windows Server, then allows it to be installed on Windows Server 2008/64 bit without SBS.

-steve

Monday, October 13, 2008 3:52 PM
  • Stefania,

I know this isn't an answer to your question, but I feel compelled to respond.  I gave OneCare a run for it's money and sadly enough, I've removed it from all of my installs and replaced it with Kaspersky.  It's still in a premature stage and isn't compatible with everything.

Typically speaking I'm a fan of MS products, as I provide web hosting using MS servers.  In my opinion OneCare has the potential to get better and it is very easy to configure.  I must add that Kaspersky is not hard at all to configure.  If you can install Server '08 software then you can install Kaspersky,  Might I also add that Kaspersky for Exchange bundled with 10 PC CAL's is only about $200 USD a year.  If you take the price of OneCare for 10 PC's and Forefront For Exchange, it's gonna cost you more!  My web servers are all protected by Kaspersky and I must say that Kaspersky is very reliable! 

BTW: Microsoft is partnered with Kaspersky and uses Kaspersky's engines with Forferont.

Steve is correct that OneCare for server was designed for SBS '08 and that's the intent of the server product.  However, MS has run into an issue with that!  SBS '08 has the option for two servers, the main being 64 bit and the second as 32 or 64 bit.  At current, if you with to run the second server as a 32 bit, niether onecare for server or client will install on the machine.  Therefore, I expect MS to come up with a solution before SBS '08 is due to be out (another month).  If they don't then they are "shooting themselves in the foot".  A SBS '08 network with a secondary 32 bit machine would cause the entire SBS environment to be "unprotected".  MS would force those that wish to go this route to use third party software.

-Michael
    Monday, October 13, 2008 4:04 PM
  • Hello Michael,

thank you very much for your reply and for the useful indications you provided.

I must be honest and I have to tell you that I've never been involved on Kaspersky server installs.

But I remember that two years ago, I had to quickly find a solution to protect for some days a simple server (2003 SE) dedicated to Data Storage and nothing more (it was a 3 machines simple LAN).

The owner was a layer and he was waiting for new machines with SBS OEM to be delivered from his HW provider.

Avast Professional was expired and I was looking for an AV trial just to cover this machines for two or three days delaying eventual purchases when the new machines would have been available (and the lawyer would have signed the support agreement I was proposing) .

My negative impressions of Kaspersky come from those days. I remember that to install the Trial (made of 2 components) I had to previously install SQL Server to manage the AV console (in order to activate the control on the other machines of the network....).

Well, i didn't go further (because at that time I was supporting that firm for free and I didn't want to spend two hours for machines closed to their deadlines....) and I decided to install a licensed copy of Jangmin AV (http://global.jiangmin.com/index.htm).

I know what you think. I put the customer at risk, proposing an untested SW. But I even told the customer to choose among a simple renewal of Avast, paying Stefania for its time to config Kaspersky or the Chinese Solution at 15 USD.

Being Scrooge enough, he opted for Jiangmin.....

Coming to Onecare and MS products your equity is a rare product in Italy....

I see a spurning attitude among my colleagues when I appreciate MS solutions and promote them.

Even Vista (that I successfully use on all my machines and that I try to deploy in the companies where is possible) is wrongly considered an unreliable OS with problems and issues.....

And everytime I tell these guys "Hey babe, don't you remember when MS released XP and all the professionals used to say that win2000 was better, more reliable and bla, bla, bla.......".

And the same happened with the release of SP2 for Win XP....

Today, when I operate on a XP computer and a process crashes and (differently from Vista that deeply improved this aspect in Windows Systems) I have to reboot the machine to unlock the kernel, I get crazy thinking to these guys....

I'm going out of topic..... sorry.... 

But ICT is ike politics....very hard to be fair-minded....

All the best

Stefania Castelli

Monday, October 13, 2008 7:40 PM