Backup service is not running RRS feed

• Question

• Well, 2 days ago noticed this error.

Rebooted 4 or 5 times, no change.

Just went through the KB article, all steps except the last, 'Reset the backup database'.

Is there anything else I can try?

I've read some of the existing threads, there was mention of someone creating a 'how to' for dealing with this, but I never saw it.

I have OEM version, no PP1, 4x500gig drives, C2D chip and 2 gig ram.

Gene

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 6:17 PM

Answers

•  Bumblebeast wrote:

I've read some of the existing threads, there was mention of someone creating a 'how to' for dealing with this, but I never saw it.

You can find the howto overhere: Fixing Database Inconsistency errors.

Thursday, July 3, 2008 12:30 PM
  • A server reinstallation will preserve the data in your shares. If you reinstall on the same system drive, it should also preserve your backup database.

One thing about PP1: it doesn't include the ability to back up your backup database. You will have to do that manually, following the instructions in the Home Computer Backup technical brief. That said, what you're describing should achieve what you want, which is a brand new server installation with larger drives but the same data and client backups.
    Wednesday, July 9, 2008 4:38 AM

All replies

•  Bumblebeast wrote:
    Well, 2 days ago noticed this error.

Rebooted 4 or 5 times, no change.

Just went through the KB article, all steps except the last, 'Reset the backup database'.

Is there anything else I can try?

I have OEM version, no PP1, 4x500gig drives, C2D chip and 2 gig ram.

Gene

I'm assuming it worked before?

Did you logon to the server desktop and try to start it from there (Windows Home Server Computer Backup service)?  No doubt it will fail, but it should at least give you an error code of some sort.

Also, the backup service has several dependencies (which can also be found when viewing the service in Computer Management).  Which ones does it show (if any)?

Thursday, July 3, 2008 12:44 AM
  • I get 2 events in error messages, 272 and 267.

272 - "EOF D\folders\{0000.............}\GlobalCluster4096.dat end of file"

267 - "Client backup failed d:\qhsv1_rtm_qfe\qhs\src\backup\util\diskfile.cpp (359)"

That's just gobble-de-*** to me.

First instance is 6/25, then backups ran fine to 6/30, starting 7/1 it all failed with the above two error messages appearing over and over, probably with each re-boot.

I've been backing up fine since last year, 1st with the RTM version, then OEM upgrade.

In May the WHS box seemed to twice loose sight of my HTPC, each time relisting it as a new PC, and beginning to backup only the new listing. So by June 1st, I had my htpc listed 3 times, though only one instance , the newest , continued to be backed up. Don't know if that adds to the issue at all.

Unable to manually start the backup service.

Gene

Thursday, July 3, 2008 11:57 AM
  • Gene, as long as you're not using Windows Home Server for long term storage of "archival" backups (which I don't recommend) I would just reset the backup database. That will remove all backups for all PCs, but it will let backups run again.
    Thursday, July 3, 2008 12:16 PM
  •  Bumblebeast wrote:

You can find the howto overhere: Fixing Database Inconsistency errors.

Thursday, July 3, 2008 12:30 PM
  •  

Hi Ken, long time no talk.

The main issue is I retired my old Dell that was my main 'beater' PC, and locked the last backup in case I needed to get a file.

But I still have the hard drive, so I guess its not a tragedy if I loose all the backups.

Thursday, July 3, 2008 3:44 PM
  •  

brubber - that's a good link.

I need to get a pair of 1 TB drives to move off my data temporarily, mostly in the form of 180 dvd rips, plus files from past PCs/jobs.

I think in the end though I'm simply going to perform a net new install. I mentioned to Ken W. a few months back that I've noticed errors in my system from day one of the upgrade to the OEM product, I used the 'server upgrade' option, or something like that. Considering Microsofts history with upgrades, I really think I need to wipe the system clean and get a fresh install in place.

Thursday, July 3, 2008 3:53 PM
  • Ah, I see. Well, I still don't recommend using Windows Home Server for long-term archival storage. Which is a subject worthy of a book, BTW...

I would recommend using a tool like Acronis True Image to get a disk image of that drive, and store it in multiple places, on a variety of media.

Regarding the errors, I honestly don't remember that part of our conversation. But I know that some users have had such issues, so I'm not entirely surprised. I would consider installing Power Pack 1, then using the Server Shares Backup tool to copy your data off to external storage. You can then copy it back later, after you've got a clean, stable server installation again.

Thursday, July 3, 2008 5:02 PM
  • Ken -

I have 4 1TB drives on the way, and 1 more question.

What if I perform a 'server reinstall' from the OEM disk. Wont that reinstall WHS, but keep all my data intact?

My thought is do above as step 1.

Step 2 - install PP1

Step 3 - use PP1 to perform a b/u of my existing client backups & dvds to an offline disk.

Step 4 - Pull all the 500gig drives and replace with the 1TB units.

Step 5 - Perform a 'net new' WHS install, then PP1.

Step 6 - Restore from the backup

Step 6 - Reconfigure my environment as needed.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 12:43 AM
  • A server reinstallation will preserve the data in your shares. If you reinstall on the same system drive, it should also preserve your backup database.

One thing about PP1: it doesn't include the ability to back up your backup database. You will have to do that manually, following the instructions in the Home Computer Backup technical brief. That said, what you're describing should achieve what you want, which is a brand new server installation with larger drives but the same data and client backups.
    Wednesday, July 9, 2008 4:38 AM
  • Thanks Ken.

I thought the type of backup I want was part of PP1? Did it get dropped prior to release.

You'd think as a software Prod. Mgr. myself I'd have a better grasp on this, oh well............

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 11:51 AM
  • In the end I did a net new install, then dloaded all updates, then PP1.

This with just my 320gig sata sys drive installed.

Then I installed 2 1TB drives in place of the 4 500gig sata drives.

The 2 1TB drives show up in the storage window as not in use, as I expected.

So I clicked one, then the 'add' function, the add new drive window comes up, and the add process began.

Still running 3 hours later, that seems a bit long to me, no?

The status bar is all the way to the right and green, the message below it says "Status:formatting complete!"

But the 3 buttons below to continue are still greyed out after hours of sitting there?!?

I'm curious, has anyone had problems installing 1TB drives after PP1?

Sunday, July 27, 2008 1:19 PM
  • Hi,

I've just added two WD Green Power 1TB drives to an up-to-date HP unit, with no problems. It only took a minute or two to complete.

I did read somewhere, where someone had to format some drives prior to installing them in a WHS, but I cannot remember the make, they were having a similar problem to you.

Colin

Sunday, July 27, 2008 2:50 PM
  •  

Thanks Colin.

I did format the drives in my Vista box to test them, (they came from eBay), before putting them in the WHS box, I wonder if that's part of the problem?

Gene

Sunday, July 27, 2008 6:36 PM
  • Did you do a 'quick format' or a full one? (Will Vista do a full one - must check!) as a quick one won't wipe all the old MBR etc.

It could be worthwhile using a Live CD, there's quite a few available which will do a full one.

Colin

Sunday, July 27, 2008 6:43 PM
  •  

Well it seems something was wired wrong. Pulled all the drives out, then put them back 1 at a time, paying attention, and now all is well.

Ran 1st backup in weeks last night.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 11:43 AM
  •  

Please clarify: what is "wired wrong." Thanks.
    Tuesday, July 29, 2008 12:59 PM
  • Not really sure.

I have 6 drives in the server, an existing 320gig SATA drive that has the sys folder on C:

4 x 1 TB SATA drives for actual storage.

And a leftover 85 gig PATA drive I just 'threw in' the server a few months back.

When I reinstalled WHS, I also had to reinstall the drivers for my ASUS mobo, and noticed I had installed the RAID driver, though I don't use RAID functionality.

I thought this was the root of my problem, as from boot to WHS splashscreen, it took over 2+ hours, and during that time I had a message that stated the server was looking for hard drives, and this was under the heading of the RAID software name.

Also, once the WHS admin screen came up, another hour+, I noticed the SATA drives all showed, but not the PATA drive.

I thought I would reinstall everything yesterday, minus the RAID driver. But first I popped the box open, pulled all data cables and power cables from drives, re-straightened them out for 'neatness' and air flow, then reinstalled all drives with power and data cables. That's what I mean by re-wired, no new cables were used, just re-attached what was in the box.

BUT!!! I intentionally left the 85gig PATA drive disconnected. Just had a bad feeling about it, can't explain why.

I thought, 'before I wipe this clean and reinstall all software and drivers, let me boot it one more time and see what happens'. It all worked fine.

Go figure.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 2:52 PM