none
Cannot run genuine validation tool, active x error, also cannot download anything from microsoft RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I originally tried to install Microsoft Security Essentials and couldn't get the initial update to run at all. I then tried to download various patches from microsoft, none of which work. When I try to download them in either Firefox or IE8 I'm told that there's a connection issue. This is very frustrating because nearly all Microsoft's remedies are downloaded from their website.

I tried to download Malicious software removal tool, and this didn't work from the microsoft website but i did manage to get a copy from the softpedia website. I ran it and it said I had no inections. I'm pretty sure I do have some sort of infection though because every so often when I click on a google search result link, I get taken to a completely different website usually advertising ____ or pills.

Has anyone got any good tips that I can try?

Cheers

Monday, November 29, 2010 1:40 PM

Answers

All replies

• "Lawmate" wrote in message news:e6d4db57-4a2e-4308-ade7-3da7e29fad4e...

Hi

I originally tried to install Microsoft Security Essentials and couldn't get the initial update to run at all. I then tried to download various patches from microsoft, none of which work. When I try to download them in either Firefox or IE8 I'm told that there's a connection issue. This is very frustrating because nearly all Microsoft's remedies are downloaded from their website.

I tried to download Malicious software removal tool, and this didn't work from the microsoft website but i did manage to get a copy from the softpedia website. I ran it and it said I had no inections. I'm pretty sure I do have some sort of infection though because every so often when I click on a google search result link, I get taken to a completely different website usually advertising ____ or pills.

Has anyone got any good tips that I can try?

Cheers

Try Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - www.malwarebytes.org.
    Download the installer and run it
    Update the database, and then run a Quick Scan in ALL user profiles.
    see what that finds. - then reset the Winsocks
    Click on the Start button
    in the Search box, type
    CMD.EXE
    wait for the search to complete, then right-click on the only file found, and select Run as Administrator.
    The Elevated Command Prompt window should come up
    At the prompt, type
    NETSH   WINSOCK    RESET
    and hot the Enter key -you should get a response telling to reboot, do so, and then try the internet again.

Good luck

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Monday, November 29, 2010 2:48 PM