AD with IIS on same server-MSCRM 4 RRS feed

• Question

•  

HI

I have few questions regarding MS CRM4

1.Can i install AD and IIS on the same server for MS CRM4.?

2.As i understand i need users created in AD first and then the same user in CRM.So if i am using Outlook client does the machine need to be in the same domain as well.?

Thanx in advance

Thursday, August 7, 2008 9:51 AM

Answers

• 1.  Yes, you can do this

2.  You are correct.  You have two options for connecting users:  On premises and IFD.  If you have an on-premises deployment, your users need to be on the domain to authenticate to CRM. If you deploy the IFD tool and set up an externally available URL, users who are not in the domain can authenticate to it.  Note that these users will still need to have active directory accounts, but they will log in via forms authentication, not windows authentication, so they don't need to be on the domain.

Thursday, August 7, 2008 12:09 PM

All replies

• 1.  Yes, you can do this

2.  You are correct.  You have two options for connecting users:  On premises and IFD.  If you have an on-premises deployment, your users need to be on the domain to authenticate to CRM. If you deploy the IFD tool and set up an externally available URL, users who are not in the domain can authenticate to it.  Note that these users will still need to have active directory accounts, but they will log in via forms authentication, not windows authentication, so they don't need to be on the domain.

Thursday, August 7, 2008 12:09 PM
  • Quote from the planning guide:

"The computer on which Microsoft Dynamics CRM is running cannot function as an Active Directory domain controller, unless it is running Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 Premium Edition R2".

Leon Tribe
    Friday, August 8, 2008 12:00 AM
  • Hi Leon,

I have managed to install VM's using Virtual PC 2007 with everything on it, AD, IIS, CRM 4.0 Enterprise, SQL Server & SSRS.  Although very slow it still works and I am able to use it as if it was a distributed environment.

Thanks.

Monday, August 11, 2008 12:33 PM